Naked SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter just pulled out some old dive pictures of me she was storing somewhere in that mess she calls a room.

I laughed my a-s-s off at the config. What a complete mess.

The best part is, SHE was tearing ME a new one, and naming off the whole gamut of my complete strokery. And she's only 14...lol.

BUSTED!

thanks to all who took the time to answer. I hadnt thought of naked plastic. Hmm... Most of my diving is done from crowded boats with others mostly using rental equip so they are not so careful...I want to buy the best I can and do like the idea of the naked for the DIR reasons but perhaps for the type of diving I do its not so practical?....yes? no?

As it seems you're more interested in polling a population that uses naked gauges than what is or is not DoingItRight. I'll caveat my previous experiences with the fact that my broken gauges all took place while diving with heavy twinsets and deco bottles, or in the case of one, moving twinsets on/off the boat.

My singles rig as well as my deco bottles all have naked brass/glass gauges and not a single one of those has ever suffered damage. Most the people you've heard endorse plastic gauges are using them on their stage/deco tanks, where they help lessen the degree to which those tanks are top heavy while slung underwater.

cool...I dont have so much experience with diving so am interested in what more exp divers have to say, hence posting here, and yes my interest is not so much with it being DIR or not as from what I understand I could not be considered a DIR diver, but given the DIRs all dive with naked SPGs what better place to enquire about the durability of a naked SPG..hope that makes sense...anyway thanks again for all the info, naked B&G SPG, short hose, becareful...got it...cheers

As it seems you're more interested in polling a population that uses naked gauges than what is or is not DoingItRight. I'll caveat my previous experiences with the fact that my broken gauges all took place while diving with heavy twinsets and deco bottles, or in the case of one, moving twinsets on/off the boat.

My singles rig as well as my deco bottles all have naked brass/glass gauges and not a single one of those has ever suffered damage. Most the people you've heard endorse plastic gauges are using them on their stage/deco tanks, where they help lessen the degree to which those tanks are top heavy while slung underwater.

I'll caveat my experience on
- I have busted, broken or dented almost every piece of gear I have ...

except an SPG :)

I have 4 or 5, all brass/glass on doubles, stages, singles, deco bottles and have done countless dives on boat, beach and now cave and no issues.

I would say it's a non-issue to have a naked gauge (for me)

-- Now back to fixing the rest of my gear :)

A de La Palice note: the best way I found not to crack anything in a busy boat is to pack my doubles so that nothing is hanging out and around. :D

For instance the SPG is tied, until donning time, to right shoulder D ring.
Primary reg clipped, secondary bungee looped around central post
Harness is closed but left very loose and central D ring is moved up until the harness protects and holds all the other pieces of equipment together.
The central Dring is locked on central post (i'm large on waist :shakehead:, so it arrives up there) or on a shoulder D ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom