Name of those black birds that dive into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then there are those that take it to another level:

Helicopter fishing

At least he did a catch & release.
To be fair, he didnt really have much of an option did he? That kinda fish I dont think he would be able to get into the chopper without some serious help :p

Ive seen fish that fly, but not bird that dive yet.. Flying fish is cool, but having birds with me at 50 feet would be far weirder to me :p

fobturbo and I were at Breakwater yesterday. At about 48 FSW just beyond the kelp there was one area where we had several cormorants fishing the bottom beneath us. We didn't have as close an encounter as you describe. I always get a kick out of seeing birds that deep.

We also had a few visits from the seals while we were there.

Interestingly, we didn't have any such encounters during our second dive. It was about the same depth, but closer to the wall. Maybe the creatures were taking an afternoon siesta. :)

I wonder if they need to or how they equalize at that depth. Wouldn't you think that any animal would have to equalize just like us?

They are diving with surface supplied air. Just yesterday I heard that one was found (dead) in a lobster trap set at 247 ft.

Check out my video of cormorants on my Facebook page:

Bill Bushing | Facebook

I wonder if they need to or how they equalize at that depth. Wouldn't you think that any animal would have to equalize just like us?

Not sure their ears share the same physiology ours do, and do birds have sinus'? If not, I don't think they would need to equalize.

Reminds me of a rescue class I was helping with. I must have been laying on the bottom for a good 35 minutes watching some hermit crabs when all of a sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder. I had assumed it was the divers checking to see if I was OK... but it was a cormorant! HA needless to say I was a little shocked to see a bird.

Reminds me of a rescue class I was helping with. I must have been laying on the bottom for a good 35 minutes watching some hermit crabs when all of a sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder. I had assumed it was the divers checking to see if I was OK... but it was a cormorant! HA needless to say I was a little shocked to see a bird.

Did you give it the ok sign? :D

I had a cormorant swim along at about 35-40 ft among my students for over 20 mins of their tour of Redondo Beach in July 2008. One of those cool strange experiences. Wished I'd had a camera on me that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom