Name of those black birds that dive into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several videos of cormorants, and have seen them about 50-60ft down. The most memorable was during filming for a class. You see me take off my mask, and then this bird swims down into the frame right in front of me. The camera then comes off me and tracks the damned bird as it pokes around the sand and shoots back to the surface. Camera pans back to me just as I finish clearing, completely unaware of what just happened! During video review, they said "Oh yeah, sorry about that, we got distracted." :)

I have several videos of cormorants, and have seen them about 50-60ft down. The most memorable was during filming for a class. You see me take off my mask, and then this bird swims down into the frame right in front of me. The camera then comes off me and tracks the damned bird as it pokes around the sand and shoots back to the surface. Camera pans back to me just as I finish clearing, completely unaware of what just happened! During video review, they said "Oh yeah, sorry about that, we got distracted." :)

:rofl3::rofl3:

Oh, I like that! :rofl3: Which class was it?

They never fail to scare the crap out of my buddy, I think it's funny. We're diving along and he jerks to a stop, lol. It's OK, dude, it's just a bird!

I spent two years following the cormorants around near the breakwater. They are fascinating animals. They're shy about bubbles, Most of my work was freediving behind them.

I spent two years following the cormorants around near the breakwater. They are fascinating animals. They're shy about bubbles, Most of my work was freediving behind them.

Wow, find out anything interesting about them?

The ones we typically see couldn't care less about us. They'll swim between us, underneath us and around us, go up for air, and come right back down to dig more through the muck.

The ones we typically see couldn't care less about us. They'll swim between us, underneath us and around us, go up for air, and come right back down to dig more through the muck.

I thought they were looking thru what was uncovered by my sloppy kicks churning up the bottom. :wink:

Another close encounter today. Again, the bird came right underneath and around us, and didn't seem to care one bit that we were around. Caught a bit on video, too!

They have three distinct locomotory pattern, the length of their dive (up to a limit) is proportional to the visibility at the bottom. They feed on benthic organisms that they capture with a snakelike strike of the neck and head. Loons are midwater feeders, while the Grebes partition the shallower regions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom