NASA Diving Jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom McCoy. When NAUI had NBL tours during the Houston DEMA several years ago, Tom met us on our particular tour. He was getting transferred out of NBL to another area. I have not heard from him since.
I have another friend who worked there for about a year. She was an instructor, but did not work immediately with the astronauts. Seems she had a lot of timed skills and swims to complete and spent time on the pool deck assisting. She did finally get into the pool. I don't remember why she left.
As someone earlier stated there is an article in an old Dive Training mag about NBL. I could not find a search option on their back issues page so you may need to email them and ask for the month/year of the article.

At a science conference, I had an opportunity to chat with some of the divers at the Neutral Buoyancy Center. They told me that training was extensive, but it was getting the security clearances that really limited who got in the tank with astronauts. They were interesting folks to talk to, though.

jac:
was it Laura A. from UT?

No, it was another woman. She was in her late 20s, early 30s.

In Houston , JSC calls it the NBL -Neutral Bouyancy Lab new location at Ellington.
Old location onsite-WETF

Scubafast:
In Houston , JSC calls it the NBL -Neutral Bouyancy Lab new location at Ellington.
Old location onsite-WETF

At MSFC, they called it NBS - Neutral Bouyance Simulator. Just goes to show that in the same agency they can't call it the same thing!

Werner Von Braun had the one at MSFC built. It was originally used for the Apollo program and then for space shuttle afterwards. They were going to tear it down because the one at JSC was being used primarily, but it's now considered a National Historic Landmark, so they can't demolish it now.

(just a little history that is interesting to know).

The NBL is hiring, last I heard. The training supervisor works with us sometimes on the Spree. They do not require any special training. They provide gobs of training from day one, so there is no point to prior training. What they do is unique, and they will teach you what they want you to know.

They are contractors through Oceaneering. Check out their web site.

-dennis

Back
Top Bottom