Naui master diver vs divemaster water skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies in advance for the thread jack but ....

I my instructor taught me lots of interesting extras, like following a line (in the open, not in a cave!)

Am I missing something here? Is there some teachable skill to following a line that I don't know of?

Just to keep it somewhat relevant, having a piece of plastic with NAUI and Master Diver on it and having compared the in water skills with both the NAUI DM and PADI equivalents, the in water skills portion of Master Diver seems to be significantly more than any of the PADI recreational courses / certifications. While you hope that after 50 dives, you have the equivalent skills, in my experience, that's not a tested / verified aspect of the PADI Master Diver program unlike NAUI. The DM certification in water skills seem pretty close though.

I don't have my manual with me at the moment, but the short answer is that the NAUI Master Diver class is the in-water part of the Divemaster training. In other words ... the water skills are identical. The only difference is that DM training also includes a leadership component that the Master Diver course does not.

I don't have the time to go back and read the replies in this thread at the moment, but I'd be surprised if that hasn't already been said ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Look at JDmerks second post and tell me where any of those were mentioned any of the replies. If they were I missed it, instead it got of on the difference between NAUI, and PADI courses, and open water skills, and dives.

Well. Since this thread was started JD has graduated on to bigger and better things.

Let me reiterate. The class of which he was speaking (and which I think we clarified) was/is a University curriculum class. It is designed to satisfy college level requirements of diving and exceeds, as one would expect, the level of general diving certifications. The primary reason that graduates of the classes get NAUI certification is because most of us are NAUI instructors and because of that, since they do in fact exceed the requirements for certification, are issued NAUI cards. It is easier than giving a card that qualifies them through the university simply because many diving facilities are familiar with NAUI and would likely be confused by a certificate from a university saying the diver had passed a course. Even if the class had been double or triple the time of any commercial course. Being SEI and CMAS also allows me to certify the students as such if that is the way they want to go because the University course exceeds the requirements of those as well.

We wind up with about 200 students per semester not counting the scientific or maritime history students (we generally follow AAUS protocols there) and strive to make them better than average divers upon graduation or completion of the semester long, three or more hour credit course. I would assume whomever is paying for the college credits would at minimum expect that.
All that. For what it is worth in the general conversation.
Mike

Mike,

What you are doing is one of the things that I designed the NAUI Master Diver course for, of course there is always the CMAS Scientific Diver Brevet, also.

As far as University cards are concerned ... I still dive on my 1973 U.C. Berkeley card (cardboard, laminated now) and I have no problems.

Well. Since this thread was started JD has graduated on to bigger and better things.

Let me reiterate. The class of which he was speaking (and which I think we clarified) was/is a University curriculum class. It is designed to satisfy college level requirements of diving and exceeds, as one would expect, the level of general diving certifications. The primary reason that graduates of the classes get NAUI certification is because most of us are NAUI instructors and because of that, since they do in fact exceed the requirements for certification, are issued NAUI cards. It is easier than giving a card that qualifies them through the university simply because many diving facilities are familiar with NAUI and would likely be confused by a certificate from a university saying the diver had passed a course. Even if the class had been double or triple the time of any commercial course. Being SEI and CMAS also allows me to certify the students as such if that is the way they want to go because the University course exceeds the requirements of those as well.

We wind up with about 200 students per semester not counting the scientific or maritime history students (we generally follow AAUS protocols there) and strive to make them better than average divers upon graduation or completion of the semester long, three or more hour credit course. I would assume whomever is paying for the college credits would at minimum expect that.
All that. For what it is worth in the general conversation.
Mike

I guess this was aimed at my reply, I kind of figured JD was done with this, my reply was meant to show how someone will start a thread and ask a specific question, and most of the replies don't answer the questions, people just go on a tangent about subjects that have nothing to do with the op. So much so that sometimes a moderator has to step in an delete or start another thread and remind everyone to stick to the topic.

Thank you Thal,
That is in fact what we try to do. I figure if someone is going to take a university class it should be at that level both from a classroom and practical standpoint. We're putting a lot of divers out there in the cohort so I am trying to make damn sure they are as good as I can make 'em!

Steve I wasn't intentionally replying to you, but I agree with your line of thought.
Mike

Mike, If I might suggest: one of the most valuable commodities to a research diver is buddy without his or her own agenda and project. This is what you create when you train all those business majors and artsies that want to learn to dive to the AAUS standard. They become the best buddy divers possible, and they get to go lots of neat places, do amazing things and be an important part of the science effort. Consider it, your reseachers will love you for it.

Thal you may rest assured that line of learning construct is happily presented. I had the good fortune to have been befriended by Dr.s Ralph Brauer and Morgan Wells back in the early 70's and their influence still gets passed along to my classes of today. Sometimes the kids even get it!
Mike

Then, I am sure, your researchers love you for it. Do look into the CMAS Scientific Diver Brevet, if you haven't, it has been helpful to a few of my folks over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom