Naui master diver vs divemaster water skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least in the PADI program, A Dive Master cert is a Qualification. A Master Diver card is a Congratulation for taking 5 courses.

The NAUI program looks like you do a bit more. But even in NAUI, with a minimum age of only 15, how much do you think a Master Diver rating is respected?

I respect it. I bought the book years ago and did the course on my own, just for the education. I learned enough to give it all the respect it deserves.

still new:
As I sit here reading all the opinions of those wise divers who condemn one system in favor of another I wonder why. All I know is that I have chosen PADI due to the fact it is available herewhere I live. I am working toward the unrespected Master Diver Level where I only have to buy a card. Well remember while I only have to buy a card what about all the other training I have taken to get to the level of "ONLY BUYING A CARD"! I think we as divers should be ready to help each other as divers not by the programs we take. I guess it is the same as a graduate of UCLA not being recognized by a graduate of Texas A&M. Lets stop the condemnation and lets all go diving!

There's no condemnation of anyone for buying the card. I think it's a waste of money, but it's your money, spend it wisely, spend it foolishly, flush it down the toliet, it's your choice and nobody's business but yours. OTOH, it's nice to make informed decisions with your money.

As for all the training it took to get to the level to buy the card, well, you have cards for each of those classes, that's your recognition. If you've taken classes that amount to something, I'd think you might want to display them instead of the MD card and have folks lump you in with the folks who took the fluff classes and bought the exact same card you bought. The PADI MD card gives you nothing you don't already have in the cards you've actually earned.

I agree we should help each other. Part of that help is letting folks know exactly what they're getting for their money. Sometimes it's a class with a card to show successful completion, sometimes it's a useless card with no class. Spend your money how you like and enjoy whatever you buy.

Thanks for the input that the cert I am working towards isn't respected, but that isn't what I asked.
So....you're only interested in receiving the very limited amount of information that may pertain to questions you may ask?

But it is not that I don't respect your training, it is that I will, or will not, respect your experience after that training. Its what you do with it, not what it is.
Why do you think anyone would care whether you respect their training? Do you think that "gaining respect from complete strangers on an internet forum" is a primary, or even a secondary motivation for people to obtain dive training?

But you are not obtaining diver training, you are buying a vanity card.

William Shakespeare:
There are grades of vanity, there are only grades of ability in concealing it." The Tragedy of King Richard the Second (York at II, i).

So....you're only interested in receiving the very limited amount of information that may pertain to questions you may ask?

YES, when I ask a question on a forum I desire an answer to said question or a comment regarding someone else's answer/response. His reply was the first...right after my initial post and said nothing to me other than that the cert I was working towards was not respected (worthless). I find such non-constructive and untrue criticism exactly that...worthless, and I would rather not see it in the threads I start.

Why do you think anyone would care whether you respect their training? Do you think that "gaining respect from complete strangers on an internet forum" is a primary, or even a secondary motivation for people to obtain dive training?

It isn't so much whether one anonymous person like Gilldiver respects a training program, but rather does the consensus of informed divers respect the training program?

To answer your question, yes, there are people out there whose sole motivation for training would be to gain the respect of complete strangers. Without going to deep into the psychology, these people largely have low self esteem and are looking for validation. To them the Master Scuba Diver card is like the curtain in Wizard of Oz, "don't look at me, just see my certification, and know I am a stud". That they get trained is a side effect.

For most people though, when evaluating a training program, you would want to pick the most respected program of those available. If most of the people in the know respect one course over another, it can be assumed that course is probably better than the other. Respect in this case is simply another form of rating system.

The question when I was looking for some one to train my kids in scuba was who to trust the lives of my loved ones with. It was not a certifying agency that I was researching, but which instructors in my area had the best reputation for top quality training, and are known for producing safe divers.
While there are a few PADI and maybe NAUI choices somewhat near, by far the best reputation in our region is held by a PADI team nealy a 3 hr drive away. I did my research. I was satisfied with this group, not because of the name of the agency on their door, but because it is obvious that they care about the sport and the lives of those they teach. They go the extra mile, as the saying goes.

My teenagers' c' cards maybe "only" be PADI cards, and no better a card than some less well trained than they can also carry, but it was the safe training of my loved ones that mattered to me, and not the paper that they carry afterward.
Myself, I was originally certified by the "Y" program, and have since taken several PADI course including rescue, with this same team, to keep current, and sharpen old skills. Loyalty to any brand or belief system means very little to me, when compared with the final results.
All of the above is my opinion only, of course.

Ive looked on the NAUI website and wasn't able to find it...but for all the instructors here: What are the water skills requirements for master diver vs divemaster? I'm in a master diver class and have heard from other students that our instructor is testing us to the divemaster standards...and adding a few of his own. This is fine, but I would like to know what the actual requirements are for the cert I am working towards.

The requirements to become a PADI Master Scuba Diver are:
1. Divers must be PADI Advanced Open Water divers (or hold a qualifying certification)
2. PADI Rescue divers (or qualifying certification).
3. Divers must hold any five PADI Specialty diver ratings
4. Have proof of 50 logged dives.

But you are not obtaining diver training, you are buying a vanity card.
Eh?? I didn't buy any of these cards. Besides which, the NAUI program involves actual training.

YES, when I ask a question on a forum I desire an answer to said question or a comment regarding someone else's answer/response.
Wow, that's really a shame. In my experience, some of the best responses are those that do not necessarily answer the question, but get people thinking in an entirely new direction and lead to valuable discussion. Oh well. To each his/her/its own I guess.

It isn't so much whether one anonymous person like Gilldiver respects a training program, but rather does the consensus of informed divers respect the training program?
Ah, but that's not what he said, He didn't say something like, "Just so you know, most experienced divers do not hold that program in very high regard because A, B, C. You might want to consider this other program over here, which people really do like" or "There have been a lot of complaints that the program you're considering is substandard or low quality" or anything along those lines. He said, "I wouldn't respect...." - so it's all about personal ego and not much information in there.

To answer your question, yes, there are people out there whose sole motivation for training would be to gain the respect of complete strangers.
There's morons in every walk of life. Sometimes I am even one of them :) But do you really think that your description fits anywhere even close to the majority of divers posting on SB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom