Naui master diver vs divemaster water skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know which agency has stricter standards but my instructor is going far above any stated. We (Master divers) are being trained with his divemaster class...these are some examples of the waterskills he is requiring of us:

Tread water for 20 min (feet and arms tied behind back)
Swim 500y in 10 min (no rescue stroke)
Swim 25y underwater (one breath)
Swim 50 y underwater (three breaths)
Skin diver ditch/don (15ft)*
Push 10lb brick 50y underwater (15ft)*
Clear mask 5+ times underwater on one breath*
Hold breath for 90sec (immediately after 500y swim)
Retrieve four screws placed in each corner of the dive well on one breath (dimensions 25x15x5yards)*
Snorkle 900 yards (forgot the time limit)*
Rescue tow 250y*

*= we are allowed mask/fins/snorkle, all others we are allowed NO equipment

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this is bad. It will make us all better swimmers, and some of them are easier than others...but damn, some of them are tough. How many of you guys could do the screw retrieval or the ditch/don?

After all, if NAUI is just interested in getting people trained to the best of their ability, they would be non-profit, right? Agencies are in it for the money, one way or another. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Actually, NAUI is a non-profit organization. See NAUI Worldwide Dive Safety Through Education

Richard

That shows your intelligence doesn't it! Where I am from doesn't matter, I am taking the training for me and no one else. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, but only that when I have completed the necessary training I and only I will feel confident enough that I can dive and be comfortable in the knowledge that I heve learned.

NAUI Master Diver Card:
1. Open Water (text, pool sessions, 5? cert dives). Req? 10 yr old, good health.
2. Advanced Open Water (text, sessions, 6 dives) Req? 12 yr old, Open Water.
3. Master Diver course (text, sessions, 8 dives) Req? 12 yrs old, Advanced Open Water.

Actually the age limit is 15 not 12. The other two certs you list are correct for age limits but not Master Diver.

That shows your intelligence doesn't it! Where I am from doesn't matter, I am taking the training for me and no one else. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, but only that when I have completed the necessary training I and only I will feel confident enough that I can dive and be comfortable in the knowledge that I heve learned.

I think the point is that you can only learn what is taught. It is sometimes difficult to know what you don't know.

The point of comparing the programs is to illuminate what is taught (or required). It isn't sufficient to just compare the number of dives required for PADI vs NAUI levels. There is also the matter of the classroom requirements and the level of the written material.

Richard

The number of dives can be rather irrelevant, I've seen numerous students with twelve to sixteen training dives who were much better divers than just about any instructor and I've seen instructors and Dive Masters with literally thousands of dives who were not worth warm spit.

In my prior message I was trying to answer MdJerk or mJDerk or whomever for his uncalled for remark concerning where I was from. Lets not get personal here as it is for opinions and information.

What do you know? your just a punny Master Diver from Canada???

J/K:D

You quote by hitting the quote button below the post you wish to quote from.
The above post by me was meant as a joke...that's why I added "J/K :D" at the end of it. J/K=Just Kidding. Nonetheless I will try to refrain from hurting your feelings in the future.
You wouldn't happen to be a French Canadian would you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom