Nautical Charts for Diving / Fishing locations - NC/VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
I live in VA and vacation in NC. I have my own boat. I'd love to find a good set of charts that would include great detail (including GPS coords) of the various structure in the Outer Banks.

Does anyone know of the name of a good chart, and perhaps an on-line source?

I'm not sure the NOAA charts provide enough detail.

Thanks!

Matt

SaltwaterSportsman and Maptech have online charts.Waterproof charts has paper charts available for your area.Also try local diveshops and bait&tackle shops.The local info is usually better than what's available commercially.Also try entering AWOIS or Critcorr in a google search for government info.

I use charts from a company called "Grease Charts" (PO Box 11501,Birmingham, Al,35202) They come in Loran and GPS versions. They are trifold and about 2ft x3ft. I have found them to be very good but somewhat expensive at $35-40 each. I purchase them at discount boat places like West Marine or Overtons.

Someone recommended Captain Segull's Charts. I went there and they had the exact area that I wanted. Paid $23.50 and it arrived.

It has wreck names, GPS coords, LORAN, etc.

However, one of the wrecks (Lancing) was in a much different spot on the chart than in Gary Gentile's book. Also, the depth in the spot the Lancing was indicated on the chart was about 70-80 feet, but I've read on the internet (and in Gentile's book) that the Lancing is in about 120 feet.

Are Segull's charts screwy? That's kinda shaken my confidence in them.

Hate to break the news to you, but many (most) of the charted locations on the chart you have will not be very accurate. Same goes for the grease chart version. Many of the wrecks they have labeled did not even go down or did so many miles from the site listed. It appears that many of the "wreck charts" don't make any attempt to verify the info and use data from very old or inacurate lists.

Good news is that the Gentile books have very good info and the charts you have will give you the basic info you need as well to navigate.

You will find the Lancing to be a bit deeper than 120 to the sand.

Welcome to the world of wreck hunting, good luck.

Another option is to go to MarinePlanner.com, find smart charts, you can move around the map like mapquest then save to your harddrive to print later, I save them as BMP's so I can use MS Paint to add my own notes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom