Nautilus Lifeline - Best way to carry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a Nautilus Lifeline radio with it's carrying case. The case has a sleeve in the back, like what you would put a belt through. I have an Aqua Lung Zuma BCD. There are not a lot of attachment points. I also have a dive knife attached to the BCD, so that point of contact is taken. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

My cloth case has a strap on the back with a metal snap clasp on it. I just put the strap over my lower, hip-level BCD strap. It seems secure and has stayed attached for many dives. The Nautilus device is also tethered to the inside of the case with a coiled leash, which won't help if I lose the case, but there is nothing else over there to attache it too.

I carry mine in a Dive-Rite leg pocket when I am diving wet. It protects the radio, and also gives me a place to keep other things like a spare mask or lift bag, or reel. I also attached a snap to the metal clip on the back of the Lifeline which I attach to the lanyard inside the pocket. Works better than anything else I tried. Unless you are actively using the device, it's best to keep it tucked away for emergencies, I think.

I carry mine in a Dive-Rite leg pocket when I am diving wet.

Mine seems to be secure snapped to the BCD, but the pocket idea seems smart, too. I could clip mine inside a drysuit pocket using a lanyard.

Unless you are actively using the device, it's best to keep it tucked away for emergencies, I think.

Does anyone actively use the device? I haven't even had to re-charge mine it months.

I haven't had an opportunity to dive since I bought it, but I can easily see using it in Cozumel. Lots of dive boats doing drift dives. It would be nice to call the boat instead of waving to them.

Mine seems to be secure snapped to the BCD, but the pocket idea seems smart, too. I could clip mine inside a drysuit pocket using a lanyard..Does anyone actively use the device? I haven't even had to re-charge mine it months

That snap is not safe in my opinion. It can come unsnapped, and bye bye 300 dollar life line. I went so far as to also cut the fabric out behind that snap, so that the clip is exposed through the back of the lifeline case. I could have gone without the case entirely, but I figure it helps to keep the device safe. I then very securely tied a little line with a snap onto the clip. When I dive dry, I keep it in the bottom of my right pocket, which is where I keep all of my emergency stuff. (signal mirror, backup SMB, backup spool, backup mask) I cant say this is the best way, but I have not lost a lifeline diving with them in the past 5 years this way. We have a lot of strong current and stuff tends to rip off or get sheared off on the boat ladder here, as an example. I have had divers hail the boat on their lifeline, so they DO get used. I have had personal experience with having a charter captain fall asleep while my wife and I were being sucked away at sunset in the current. I believe the lifeline saved our butts in that instance. Just as I was beginning to wonder if the thing was working out of nowhere a fishing boat came along and picked us up. I hate to think what the evening would have been like had we not had such a quick recovery. having a large SMB made finding us much easier.

Last edited:
I carry mine in a Dive-Rite leg pocket when I am diving wet. It protects the radio, and also gives me a place to keep other things like a spare mask or lift bag, or reel. I also attached a snap to the metal clip on the back of the Lifeline which I attach to the lanyard inside the pocket. Works better than anything else I tried. Unless you are actively using the device, it's best to keep it tucked away for emergencies, I think.

I do this, too, exactly.

I haven't had an opportunity to dive since I bought it, but I can easily see using it in Cozumel. Lots of dive boats doing drift dives. It would be nice to call the boat instead of waving to them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT I don't recall many Coz boats using radios. I recall the captain using his cell phone to communicate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT I don't recall many Coz boats using radios. I recall the captain using his cell phone to communicate.

Part of the dive briefing on Scuba Cozumel dive boats is the channel the boat is listening on. They use marine radios as well as cell phones.

I have only been diving with Tres Pelicanos, and they make sure to tell you the name of the boat and the channel they monitor in case another dive boat comes to pick you up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom