Nautilus Lifeline radios no longer eligible for MMSI registration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea if the MMSI could be transferred. Probably.

If I understand correctly, your existing MMSI will continue to work indefinitely. You cannot get a new MMSI for a nautilus lifeline.

How do you get an MMSI for a normal handheld DSC VHF in the US? One which might be used on more than one boat? Here (UK) you tell the registrar that it is a handheld and they give you a different call sign and an MMSI which might be from a different pool.

It looks like the nautilus website now has instructions to get an MMSI from "United States Power Squadrons" where it used to have BoatUS.

[h=1]OBTAIN MMSI NUMBER (MOBILE MARITIME SERVICE IDENTITY)[/h] A Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) is a series of nine digits that uniquely identifies marine vhf radios and coast guard stations.
Nautilus Lifeline LLC CANNOT provide you with an MMSI number. This is provided by local government. A 9 digit number must be entered into your unit to activate the red button. Note that different countries have different regulations for issuing MMSI numbers.
[h=2]ENTER MMSI NUMBER[/h] Enter your MMSI number using the Nautilus LifeLine Setup Utility software on your computer. With your LifeLine connected, go to the Apps tab, and click the Customize Settings button. Enter your MMSI number in the box provided, then click "Apply MMSI Number to LifeLine".
Once the red button is activated you can send out an alert message and gps position to every modern radio within range. If your number is not identifiable, the response time of local authorities or other vessels within the range of the radio should not be hindered.
[h=2]MMSI IN USA[/h]
  1. Visit: www.usps.org/php/mmsi/home.php
  2. Click “Login/Register”
  3. Register with a new account if you do not already have one
  4. Click “Add MMSI”
  5. Fill out the required fields as follows:
    1. Vessel Name: n/a
    2. Radio Call Sign: None
    3. Vessel Wireless Number 1: Your phone number
    4. Vessel Flag State: n/a
    5. Ship Classification: Unspecified
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and save the registration.

Nautilus MMSI registered with Boats US are still good and still valid. The issue is with the relationship that between the US Coast Guard, Boats US and the FCC. Boats US, as a major contributor to the MMSI Data base was told not to do Dive Radios anymore. Should be curious to see how long before the Power Squadrons are told to stop as well.

Boats US, as a major contributor to the MMSI Data base was told not to do Dive Radios anymore.
Who told them, and how do you know this?

I looked at the wiki page regarding MMSI numbers and there simply isn't enough numbers out there. The system was designed for boats, not gazillions of hand held radios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The MMSI is designed to be applied to ALL the radios (same MMSI) in use on a specific boat, not ALL the boats that a specific radio might use!
Perhaps internationally the solution is for Lifeline users to use the MMSI for whatever boat they are on....they can still speak directly to their boat, or to any Ch 16 users, and if they send out a DSC then any boat so equipped will hear it, AND the local coast guard if there is one will at least know what boat to look for and to contact.

The MMSI is designed to be applied to ALL the radios (same MMSI) in use on a specific boat, not ALL the boats that a specific radio might use!
Perhaps internationally the solution is for Lifeline users to use the MMSI for whatever boat they are on....they can still speak directly to their boat, or to any Ch 16 users, and if they send out a DSC then any boat so equipped will hear it, AND the local coast guard if there is one will at least know what boat to look for and to contact.

With every radio I've ever bought that has DSC (Same with AIS) you only get 3 shots to change the MMSI. Then it goes back to the factory for a real factory reset. Maybe the Nautilus is different. I don't want anyone registering their radios to my station license, especially if they don't have an operators license. I sure don't need the CG calling me when someone in Indonesia pushes their Distress button because they forgot to set the MMSI....

With every radio I've ever bought that has DSC (Same with AIS) you only get 3 shots to change the MMSI. Then it goes back to the factory for a real factory reset. Maybe the Nautilus is different. I don't want anyone registering their radios to my station license, especially if they don't have an operators license. I sure don't need the CG calling me when someone in Indonesia pushes their Distress button because they forgot to set the MMSI....
Frank, the MMSI on the Nautilus is completely under the operator's control. But your concern about someone forgetting to reset it is right on target!

I suppose boat ops could have a stash of Lifelines they loan out to their divers....all with the boat's MMSI.

Clearly, the technology has advanced beyond the bureaucracy. Again.

Frank, the MMSI on the Nautilus is completely under the operator's control. But your concern about someone forgetting to reset it is right on target!

I suppose boat ops could have a stash of Lifelines they loan out to their divers....all with the boat's MMSI.

Clearly, the technology has advanced beyond the bureaucracy. Again.

I'm pretty sure the Cocos and Galapagos Aggressor boats have them available. I don't know if it's a rental, or if it's included in the price. I expect the Nautilus boats have them available. Be kinda silly if they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom