Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this a true story?

12181422926me3qh.jpg

All of it is true... Which bit in particular were you wondering about??

Unless the particulate is moving with the current/swell.
it will still give you immediate feedback that you can use.
It helped me a great deal after figuring it out on my own in during my first ever SMB deployments in the dry tortugas

As you start to accumulate old gear, take the important pieces of it and throw them into a sealed bag or tote. I pack an extra first stage, second stage, SPG, mask, watch, depth gauge, tables, etc... Combine that with some double open end wrenches, Allen wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, duct tape, O-rings and silicone grease and you have one hell of a save a dive kit. None of that stuff is particularly heavy or bulky either, so you can pack it all in a fairly small bag. You could just pack an entire second regulator instead of the pieces, but I find I get used to how things fit and work on my usual regulator and I'd rather just change out the one part that has a problem. Since my replacements are often old parts that were given to me or old equipment that I used, but never really liked that much I'd rather spend a couple minutes with the wrenches and replace only the parts that are giving me trouble.

The double open ended wrenches are the best in my opinion since unlike an adjustable wrench, you can use them even if they get rusty and since they have different sized ends you only have to carry half as many.

here is a trick.

The cheap SMB's can be inflated by inserting the oral valve into the "bell" of a dive alert.

You can trim your mo with shears underwater if your mask isn't sealing properly.
What is a mo? I'm still getting used to the word nappy.

Carry o-rings for every bit of your gear that has o-rings. Tank valves, regs, computers, spg, torches, camera housings, valves, hoses, etc. Nearly all of my problems are caused by o-rings and they are hardly any cost at all to carry your own supply. Also carry a shifter and allen keys and a pick :)
Also, carry a gauge swivel. They are very inexpensive and it's much easier than trying to get a tiny new o-ring into a half corroded swivel.

The old "don't ascend faster than small bubbles" could still have practical value in certain situations.

Rubbing drenched tobacco inside a mask makes for great anti-fog AND manages to destroy one more cigarette from the available stash of your dive buddy.

If you ever get into a situation when you feel you may be overbreathing your regulator, very lightly push in the purge button when you inhale until you feel there is no work of breathing. Watch out for gas supply when doing this, cause it's going down fast.

halemanō;5391432:
What if the water has current &/or surge? Perhaps those two tricks should be prefaced with "When you are diving in a static body of water..."

all bets are off then, works great in no current environments lakes quaries ect

One more trick: resume drum roll:

1. I put my soft weights in FoodSaver vacuum bags. I use the 8 inch roll to make the bags. Every once in a while one will leak, so I dry the weight thoroughly and redo the vacuum bag. I use the manual mode on the FoodSaver and not get too strong a vacuum, or the weight turns hard.

This way I don't have to worry about lead leaching all over my gear in the rinse tank.

Adam

A second set of gear as suggested takes up little space.
There is only ONE position for a single hose tank and ONE for double hose. Higher is further unless your jacket is too big.
There is plenty of info out there for correctly reaching and manipulating valves. I can't type.

Saspotato. Where did you get that photo of me? I have one of those Sony's and dont like the catch. I wish I knew how to post a photo like that.

But number one tip that comes to mind at the moment is:

IT IS VERY COOL TO DO A DUCK DIVE AND KICK LIKE HECK IF YOU FEEL A RAPID ASCENT COMING ON.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom