Need Belize dive op due possible itinerary change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
We are less than 2 weeks out from our eastern Caribbean cruise. There is a possibility that we may get switched to the western Caribbean if a system behind Danny develops and stays the course.

If this happens I could try to book with Aldora in Cozumel, Barefoot in Roatan and Deep Blue Divers in Grand Cayman. We used this ops before so we could try them again.

What Ops would be recommended for Belize? Last time we cruised there we skipped diving there to rake a break.

Not sure how much of an advance notice so it could be tight.

Thx

You have basically three options diving from Belize. The problem is that the cruise ships anchor about 4 miles out from Belize City and passengers are tendered in to the port in the small boats. How do I know this? Done the Belize cruise ship stop a couple times.

1. If you have to dive Belize, you might want to consider the cruise ship's op. Ours was able to pick us up at the cruise ship (right where we would have boarded the tender) and took us out to Turneffe Atoll. The cost was $146 pp, which seems high... but wait for the other options.

2. I'm stopping there on a cruise in January and have already booked with Sea Sports Belize in Belize City. They want $125 pp for a 2-tank dive. We will take the tenders into Belize City, walk a few blocks to the shop, and take the dive boat from there. We'll end up diving on the barrier reef; check out their website for details.

What about other dive ops in Belize City? Apparently there aren't any. Sea Sports is it... which is why they're able to charge $125.

3. The most adventurous option: tender in to Belize City, take a quick taxi ride to the municipal airport, hop a small plane for a quick flight to either Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. The latter will cost you about $90 pp roundtrip. Dive at Ambergris, then fly back and get back to the ship.

In January I'm stopping at the same four ports you listed in your post. All the feedback I've read from people that have dove these four ranks Belize fourth. If you must dive at every port, I think these are your only options for Belize. If you want to take a break (like you did before) Belize might be just the right port for that.

L

Hugh Parkey's is the cruise operator if you want to check them out as well.

Thx for the opinions. The cruise ship option might be worth it for convenience this time since there is only one other option. I heard the excursion is fine as opposed to the usual better experiences from 3rd party dive options. Hopefully TS Erica clears out of the way by Sept 5th (which should be the case) and my cruise travels the East as scheduled.

In Belize, I stick with the cruise excursion. Mainly because of the long tender ride.
Doing the Carnival Glory next week.
Scheduled with Aldora in Cozumel, Barefoot in Roatan, Off the Wall in Grand Cayman and (hopefully ) the ship in Belize.
Will be first time with Barefoot.

I would stick with the ship scheduled dive op in Belize... they pick you up at your ship and head straight out. Then your ship will not leave without you if you get delayed for any reason. It is just a tight window with the dive sites being so FAR from where all ships tender. It is hour+ travel time each way, and the last thing you want is to depend on an outside dive op getting you out and back in time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom