Need quick Idea's!!! Coz trip might be canceled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HELP!

Our coz trip is canceled... My travel agent managed to find us a trip to Maui near a place that starts with Kaa something....

I need Dive Op suggestions quick! We'll be there Monday thru sunday, so diving would most likely be Tue, Wens, Thrus, Friday ... SI on Sat and Leave on sunday

I was hoping that we could do our PADI AOW on this vacation if at all possible, I mean after all I was planning a week of unlimited shore diving and 5 days of 2 tank dives :( oh well....

Any quick help appricieated! PM me if you wish!

Sheraton Maui Resort Currency Converter >>

2605 Kaanapali Parkway, Lahaina Maui, Hawaii 96761

Here is our hotel info

Lucky you. I'm going to Maui in Nov. At least you won't have to worry about Wilma now! I've received tons of great feedback on who to dive with. I'm sure they'll be responding soon. In the meantime, you can check out the other threads. Mike Severns, Ed Robinson's, B&B, Lahaina diver's ... the list goes on... It really doesn't sound like there's anyone bad in Maui. If you don't want to do a lot of driving you may want to choose based on location (as well as what's available last minute), as many operate out of Kihei. (I'll be in Lahaina too). It seems like most have discount deals for multiple trips so sticking with one shop seems to be the more economical option and the way I'll probably go. Molokini and Lanai are definitely on my list, and that area has lots of shore diving too.
Have a great trip!... and do post about how it went when you're back.

Definitely plan a dive at Black Rock. It's just at the base of the Sheraton and since you're going to be there anyway.... :wink: We rented tanks at the Sheraton, which were expensive ($15 for an AL63) but extremely convenient. But you can get tanks at Maui Dive Shop in Whaler's Village for $8 easily enough.

Who you dive with depends a lot on how early you want to get up and how far you want to drive. We have a timeshare at the Marriott on Kaanapali Beach so we dive a lot with Lahaina Divers. We prefer to sleep until 5:30am and still be able to get to the shop by 6:00ish. Lahaina Divers runs bigger boats (46' Newtons) but for those of us with motion sickness issues, the stability and smoothness of these boats is a small trade-off for having more divers on-board. We've also found that if you stay away from the afternoon charters that it's much less likely to have a full boat anyway. We really enjoy the DM's on the Lahaina boats and have always had excellent service both above and below the water.

You absolutely can't go wrong with Mike Severns, B&B, or Ed Robinson's either. Excellent, high quality outfits that will treat you well and show you a great time. We've gone out with Mike Severns before and would probably go back if it weren't for the drive down to Kihei. On our next trip I'm thinking about booking Ed Robinson's 3-tank dive, but we'll see if I can convince my husband to get up early enough to catch the boat! :D

rottielover:
HELP!

Our coz trip is canceled... My travel agent managed to find us a trip to Maui near a place that starts with Kaa something....

I need Dive Op suggestions quick! We'll be there Monday thru sunday, so diving would most likely be Tue, Wens, Thrus, Friday ... SI on Sat and Leave on sunday

I was hoping that we could do our PADI AOW on this vacation if at all possible, I mean after all I was planning a week of unlimited shore diving and 5 days of 2 tank dives :( oh well....

Any quick help appricieated! PM me if you wish!
I saw that coming, no matter what they were telling you there was no way you would have been able to go there Sunday with the pounding Coz is taking. And nothing would be functioning even if you did get there.

The first thing to understand is that Lahaina is about 45min. from Kihei. Most of the diveops are based either in Lahaina or Kihei. So start with the Lahaina based ops. first and see who has availability. If this was summer or winter you'd probably be out of luck, but things will be slower now.

Another thing to be aware of is that the boats leave pretty early in the morning to get two dives in before the tradewinds kick up the waves in the afternoon. So generally you'll be done diving before noon. Downside is that if you have to drive to Kihei, you'll be getting up around 5am to get there for the 6-6:30 departures.

Here's the list:

Lahaina area:

Extended Horizons:
http://www.scubadivemaui.com/#menu
Lahaina Divers:
http://www.lahainadivers.com/

Maalea area(about 20min south):

Maui Dive shop:
http://www.maui.net/~robinson/erd1.htm
Note: There's a Maui Dive shop in Lahaina, but their boat is based in Maalea.

Kihei area(about 45min south):

B&B Scuba:
http://www.bbscuba.com/
Mike Severns Diving:
http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/
Ed Robinsons:
http://www.mauidiveshop.com/

In Lahaina I'd dive with Extended Horizons first then Lahaina Divers. Although I've gotten lucky mid-week with LD and not had more than about 12-14 on their big boat.

Maui Divers is going to be more beginners/cattleboat diving. Also their staff can be less than attentive at times.

If you want to drive to Kihei, my first choice would be Ed Robinson's. I've also read good things about Severns/B&B just haven't dove with them yet.

You want to dive the Cathedrals at Lanai from Lahaina and Molokini crater from either Lahaina or Kihei. If you've the experience, do the backside of Molokini. You may find that it's faster to actually drive down to Kihei and get on a boat for Molokini than it is from Lahaina.

Look at Shoredive.com for all the better shore options. We liked Airport Beach up near Lahaina. Also Black Rock at the Sheraton is a good dive. Rent an 80 from someone in Lahaina before you go there, their diveshack only rents AL63's at a premium price.

Although it probably can't be helped due to the short notice, know that you're booked into the most touristy and busiest part of Maui. So get a car and drive down to Kihei/Wailea and also north to Kapalua, it's a lot different.

Also imho, the parasailing and the jetski's were overrated. And skip the sub, you'll see better stuff diving. If you have a whole day to kill and feel adventurous, drive the Road to Hana, it's old Hawaii at it's uncivilized best. Also the Helicopter rides are worth it, they take you into the craters and over parts of Maui you can't get to any other way, there's no roads or trails yet - not cheap though.

Make the drive to the Maui Ocean Center near Maalea, it's worth a trip. And for $200 you can dive their shark tank with the Tiger if you want.

Have fun, the water should be great this time of year. It was really clear when I wat there in October a couple years ago and I just heard from kidspot on this board that he had 200' viz the other day.

We are to leave Thursday for Coz..hmm. Anyway, what about Costa Rica? You will save a lot of money compared to Hawaii, a lot of money. If u r interested I can tell u of a great dive shop and a super wonderful place to stay. Good luck either way.

Thank you all for the quick reply's! I really appreciate it! Thank you especially to sjspeck

They should put that post as a sticky someplace!

My wife and I have decided that we'll be relaxing and taking it easy on this trip, so we aren't going to do our AOW course, and We're just going to rent tanks and weights and do shore diving when we want too... That way the wife can shop, I can dive and we can both just relax and finally get away.

I'm going to take my laptop with me, and I'll start working on the trip report, I know most of you want to find out how the diving is this time of year, I apologize in advance for not doing any boat diving, but you never know, we might change our minds...

Thanks again EVERYONE!

Aloha

You really, really, really should dive Molokini. Even just inside the crater. It's one of the best dives on Maui.

Go to the Ka'anapali area and dive out of Lahaina on Maui. I go there every other year, Molokini is a must dive and see if you can dive the Cathedrals across the channel on Lanai.
Search my posts on Hawaii for more info...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom