Need to buy a HD camcorder with Housing asap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adybaines

New
Reaction score
Hi to all

Need to decide which HD camcorder to buy Sony HDR-SR8E, CX6 or Panasonic's HDC-SD5 or any others you recommend?

I need to buy it in the next 2 weeks before i fly to california....

only drawback is i also need an available underwater housing to go with it.... as i am cage diving with great white sharks in mexico and want to capture it all in HD...

The new Panasonic's HDC-SD5 seems to be the best..... but i cant find an underwater housing so im stuck? - anyone know if there is one available? or who to ask?

So what is the Sony HDR-SR8E like??

there is an Ikelite underwater housing for the Sony HDR-SR8E........ its another £700 ontop of the £900 camera though!!

and also the CX6 is that new/better than the SD5.... guess its to new for a housing yet?

saw a review says AVCHD compression is more aggresive than HDV and picture quality is worse.... is this noticable/across all models or just sonys??

can you buy something like the hyper drive and download all the HDD video from the sonys without a pc while on holiday incase it gets corrupt in the camera... i see it works with SD cards another plus for the SD5 - if it only had a housing i would be sorted!

many thanks for helping me get my decison made....

Bryan

One of the first things to look at when buying a camcorder for underwater use is to take a look at available housings. The Sony SR8 has several housings available for it, including popular manufacturers such as Seatool, Amphibico and Ikelite. The Panasonic is a different issue. The Sony SR series has been quite popular with divers and produces a very nice image. With a trip upcoming, availability is a primary concern for you...Guadalupe is awesome (I assume thats where you are going) and theres no way I would head down there without a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom