Need your advise on a DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatliner

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

My daughter who is 15 has a real eye for photos and has been taking a lot of good pictures with my Canon A720. She has been recognized enough that a friend has asked her to take her Senior pictures, to encourage my daughterÃÔ photo skills (above water) I am purchasing a DSLR for myself that I will ÅÂllow her to use. I have been looking for a few weeks and this is what I ÅÕhink I want. Any feed back would be appreciated. What I have selected is at the very top end of my available budget and I would like to order it this weekend. I will consider the underwater housing and accessories when I do the second mortgage...

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Opteka Battery Pack Grip / Vertical Shutter Release for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS & Digital Rebel XSi with 2 LP-E5 Batteries (3600 mAh Total)

Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7

Tiffen 58mm UV Protection Filter

Tiffen 67mm UV Protection Filter

Some type of bag (recommendations requested)

Also, I wondered if picking up the 50mm Canon f 1.8 lens would be useful enough by itself to have.

Your set up does not allow for much reach with those lenses.

I would probably drop the battery grip and go for the Canon 55-250 lens, if you can afford it.

Yes, keep the 50 1.8. For the money it takes great protraits. Faster glass than what you otherwise have.

If you think you (or your daughter) will go down the road to serious photography, look for something with 2 command dials.
Why not Nikon D90?

I would suggest the following
Nikon D90
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D or AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
Speedlight SB400 + Cable or SB600

This is what I would give to my son today, but he is only 2yo...

If you want to take this UW you can later add a 60mm and a WA lens, many choices here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom