Needing new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COWSskateGOOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been diving for several years and am looking for some opinions from the group. I started diving with a Walmart US Divers mask I got in a snorkle kit...and decided to purchase a Holis mask as an "upgrade" years ago.... It always fogged no matter what I did, tried lighter tricks ect, it was left at my dads pool as a toy mask and since then Ive always used my "cheap" mask......

I typically dive tropical warm water, mainly shallow looking for megladon teeth.... what are some thoughts/recommendations?

Magic Eraser has worked well along with toothpaste (separate operations here, not at the same time). GF notices that the sunscreen she uses seems to migrate onto the lenses. a good cleaning and some sea drops seems to fix things

Tried magic eraser, and actually that was the only thing that would allow them to be useable, however it wont last. I have to use magic eraser now every time I put them on, and sometimes during the "pool" session. I have given up on the Holis M1 at this point. I also know that majority of the purchase is going to be finding fitment, I searched the forum found instructions on how to check fitment etc.... just hoping for some brands that similar divers use, love, rant about etc.... Thanks for the tips sir.....

DGX Ultra View Frameless, a good initial cleaning as snowdog stated above, and baby shampoo, which seems to work better for me than seadrops. Then good old spit when you forget the shampoo or drops.
DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask | Dive Gear Express®

BTW, I have used the expensive Atomic Venom and bought an Atomic Frameless 2. I dive with the $25 DGX thanks to recommendations of good folks on this board. :)

Love the price! and they look just like the M1 for the price, I may have to purchase them just as a gamble. I also realized why haven't I contacted Hollis about the defective product. So I sent them an email hoping for response. With my old M1's just as a follow up, I initially cleaned them and used baby shampoo, drops, spit etc.... and recleaned them several times with every method. (Tooth paste, magic eraser, lighter). Never was usable..... a little fog I expect, but I tell you it was terrible.

I just recently bought the DGX mask on a whim based on the reviews and price, and it has become my favorite mask based on the seal, comfort and field of view.

Thank you for your feedback as well.... I had some Amazon credit on my account (I love their credit card) So I went ahead and purchased a pair ($8 after discount), still open to other suggestions however....

I'm loving the DGX mask as well. I'm also diving thier olde fashioned prescription double lens model and it's also working well for me.

Use the Sea Gold GELL drops. Rub them in and dunk the mask ONCE. Do not over rinse, if there's a little left on the lens, so be it. Then put you mask on and leave it on. Don't play with it at all.

I usually get an hour fog-less with the sea gold drops. If I have to take the mask on/off/on/off for snorkeling stuff, it's far less effective. At that point I flood the mask when it fogs, slosh it around and purge. Sometimes I even leave water in my mask to slosh around.

Sea Gold Gel Mask Anti-Fogger, {1.25 oz | 35 g} | Dive Gear Express®

As good as my $175 Venom mask:
DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask | Dive Gear Express®

And the prescription one I often use:
DGX Ren Mask with Vision Correcting Lenses | Dive Gear Express®

Thanks for the recommendations. I got the DGX, and messed with it in the pool.... I am pretty excited to dive it as soon as the water calms from this storm we are getting. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom