Neoprene socks over trilam socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pogonotroph

Registered
Reaction score
I have a presumably very stupid question about drysuit socks...

I recently purchased a (new without tags) White's Fusion drysuit. The drysuit has trilaminate socks attached, but also came with a new pair of neoprene socks. I am confused what these neoprene socks are for- are they to be worn under the attached trilam socks, over them, or are they just a bonus freebie that White's throws in?

I have never used a drysuit before but had assumed that one would just wear wool socks under the trilam drysuit socks which would then be placed in a rock boot...

Thanks!

Last edited:
You wear the socks UNDER the suit.

Right, but why then would I wear neoprene socks under my suit rather than, say, wool ones? Is that common? I would imagine most people would just wear "regular" wool or cotton socks.

You don't want to wear cotton anything under your suit.

Wool makes me itch. I'll take the neoprene.

I would (and did) get some expedition weight Merino wool socks to wear as the layer directly on your skin. If that isn't warm enough, then add the neo socks (or more wool) over that. I wouldn't wear neo socks directly against my skin in a dry suit. That just seems like a surefire recipe for horribly sweaty feet.

And, actually, if the neo socks are short (like, they only come up as high as your outer boot), I would probably wear them over the tri-lam, to protect the suit's attached sock from boot wear or wear from any steps you may walk without your boots on.

Yhea I wear regular ole thick boot socks directly on my feet inside the trilam and then I put all that in a wetsuit booty. Nice and toasty and dry..

I wear socks directly on skin and then put that in drysuit and then put neo sock over drysuit and then put that in my rock boots.

sometimes I'll do socks and neo on inside and then neo on outside and then in boots...if its below 35F.

The neoprene sock are to be used instead of wool socks. The neoprene socks generally speaking is warmer that traditional socks used for thermal insulation.

Further, they add a bit of padding as the fusion boots are quite flexible. With the evo boot it's less necessary but the neoprene will (theoretically) keep you warmer than others if there's a leak. Also, they help keep the under garment leg stay down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom