New and first fins: ready for a new embarras du choix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I both have the Tusa Hyflex Switch and love them. They‘re very comfortable and we have had no cramping or foot issues even with many days of diving in a row. Recent dive on Playa del Carmen had a stiff current that we both felt overpowered the fins. Perhaps would have overpowered any fin, but will be swapping out the blade for the stiffer Pro blades for our next trip.

You will likely buy new fins within a few years. Some divers have a closet full of fins they have bought over the years. Buy what you believe is best for you now. But it sounds like a few years from now you will be buying heavier, stiffer fins for drysuit diving. The Schelde estuary is calling you!
I believe this. I have only ever had 3 sets of fins. Cheap body glove ones, my current Cressi reaction Pros and recently got a set of old school Scuba Pro jet fins, made in USA. Always interested in more gear, but seeing as I don’t have a billionaires budget, I like to have the money either saved up, out towards a trip or invested in a safe assets imo. Having tons of dove gear that never see the light of day is something I’m constantly ensuring I don’t do lol. Have friends who have all this gear and no time to dive

As a minor piece of unsolicited advice, resist the temptation to look like this on a recreational dive:

View attachment 776048

Most of us eventually come around to this:

Dove with a dear friend for lobster mini season. The man bolt snaps a light, a GoPro, something else, a lobster gauge and something else. All this to do lobster diving. I didn’t once see him use anything, he used the measure he had on his tickle stick lol. I try to limit my gear when dodging if I’m not “sight seeing”. Lobster diving, net tickle stick, knife sometimes for safety/trash cleanup.

So, I bought a pair of Cressi frog fins, too soft during my pool sessions, I ended up using Mares Avantis. They seemed alright but still soft. I’ve settled on Seawing Novas, but was still bicycle kicking - turned out I needed a medium vs. a large. I like them - they are stiff but responsive. Not the greatest for frog kicking - but since the sizing down, they are acceptable for it. I’m considering Jet fins or the RK3s down the road.

So, I bought a pair of Cressi frog fins, too soft during my pool sessions, I ended up using Mares Avantis. They seemed alright but still soft. I’ve settled on Seawing Novas, but was still bicycle kicking - turned out I needed a medium vs. a large. I like them - they are stiff but responsive. Not the greatest for frog kicking - but since the sizing down, they are acceptable for it. I’m considering Jet fins or the RK3s down the road.
Try super nova if you can

Try super nova if you can
I did in the pool. A little more stiff but it looks interesting. I can revisit with a rental to the ocean and try it out there.

I like how you can take them apart for travel, and swap out the open heel for full-foot pockets. Now, if they came in all pink vs. the current white and black options. Yes, I know Scubapro released pink and turquoise fin sections.

I was in Hurghada for almost 3 weeks recently and I tried several fins in addition to the SP SuperNovas when I was there. There is no comparison; SuperNovas are the greatest fins I have ever used. My friends who borrowed the SuperNovas from me, didn't want to give them back to me :) These friends were Mares Q, Jetfins, etc. fin users. SuperNovas had great flutter kick (it flies in flutter kicks), Frog kicks (all turns and backward swims) and nothing to complain about at all. I even tried wearing different fins on different feet for several dives. I haven't compared them with the even newer SP S-Tek SuperNovas and the Go Sport Gorillas yet but will do in the coming few months when they arrive, but so far the SuperNovas are simply outstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom