New Bare SB System Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been in contact with a dive store in the Minneapolis, MN area regarding the SB suit. here are some facts. apparently there are only five suits out there right now. The suits are being shipped around the country to various dealers. My son and I are headed to Minneapolis in late February to to see and possibly try on one of the suits. the suit will be in Chicago for the Our World Underwater Feb 18-20. the suit will then be shipped to Minneapolis.

I find it interesting that there are only five of the suits in the states and dive season in the northern areas is just around the corner.

Black Jack,

I think it is best to be very clear hear, the SB drysuit is not a competitive product with the Whites Fusion or anything else, it is completely different. Whites fusion is two suits bonded with velcro, and not really innovative, it works, but still it is a bilaminate shell, with a neoprene cover-all to keep it in place (of course this varies depending on the outshell one buys). The SB drysuit, is a true trilaminate, one piece, that doesn't need to be super baggy in fact, BARE has told me that they will offer the suit in 16 sizes as you are still to purchase your size and fit. It doesn't use their patented ATR system, nor a crotch strap to provide stretch, ease of movement, even though it is a front zip (self donning drysuit). The zipper is plastic, means the whole suit with HD rubber boots is only 7 or so pounds (awesome for cave diving, traveling etc), and if you go with the soft sock option it is even lighter, though I haven't tried that style yet. Also the price range of this suit, isn't Whites Fusion pricing, I have been told, that they plan to make it around the 2500 dollar CAD/USD mark. I know the fusion with the most rugged skirt, is only about 2000 cad. or so.

For all of the answers I just posted, please hit me back with future questions, but note, that as I dive all the time and work full time, my response aren't always timely, for which I apoligize.

I asked my local dive shop what they thought of the fusion compared to the bare, and the owner said he had tried on the fusion and thought it was just too much material everywhere. On the other hand he has already put in an order on an SB for himself.

I tried it on (a large happened to be about my size) in the store, and having only ever tried putting on a drysuit once before, I was amazed how easy that was to do and how light it was. I have never used doubles, but I could reach down my back, so I can't imagine reaching a valve would be a problem. It also didn't get hot quickly, which the one other drysuit I have tried did (and it was supposed to be breathable for kayak use, and was a pain to zip on top of that).

I have seen the fusion for around $1500 cdn, although I don't think that was with the most high end cover or any underwear. The local store thought the SB would be around $2000 (plus the underwear and other accessories), so $2500 sounds likely to me too.

I am impressed by the SB so far. Now if only I had the money to go buy a drysuit. Too much money spent on house repairs in the last year for that.

Last edited:
Sdrames,

I have heard the same thing, about 5 suits out there being tested/shown, not sure about the shows (Beneath the Sea, Our World Underwater), and who will and who won't have suits to show.

TSandM,

Well I am a big guy, roughly 280 and 6 feet tall, using a stock 3XL with complete set of underwear, and I also a High stretch wetsuit in the summer months, the SB suit feels better then that wetsuit from performance (I am dry and warm) to movement and feel of the water enviroment around me. I can't say how stretchy it is compared to your compressed neoprene, as I haven't test dove all models, but if it helps to compare to a high stretch wetsuit for the amount of ease and stretch in the SB suit, then I hope that helps.

CAn one glue halcion pockets to the suit ? how easy is it to be fixed in the field ? On a video on the youtube they show that the zipper is closing from the bottom to the up , that brings concerns about the zipper interfearing with the harness. With the proce of 2500 they are approaching the price of a DUI custom made CLX which is durable and do not need any stretchability to perform well

I am wondering the same as Elan. Pockets...and of course the PEE valve. Since this is a STRETCHY suit...how do pockets fare with this type of suit. Let alone the all important pee valve. I do not see anything regarding pockets etc.

The overal concept is very interesting. BARE will need to address the pocket issue and show Pee valve placement/ installation etc.

Last edited:
Looking at the amount of stretch and the effort needed to produce it, I somehow don't think that pockets will be a big issue. They are on the Fusion, but the Fusion skins are MUCH stretchier.

I was amazed since fusion was released how marketing (stretchy suit, "second skin") is prevaling in decision making.

If I want a well fit business suit I go to the store and look for one, if I cannot find any standard size suit on the shelf I either take the one that can be adjusted or order a custom suit and I can do everything is the suit, lift my arms close them on the chest etc. Do I go and look for a stretchy business suite ? Or do I buy a shirt that is 3 sizes bigger than I need and put stokins overtop :) That souds rediculous. I think the same logic should be applied here. To have a freedom of movement you do not need stretchy material, you just need a well fit suit adn then you will not have issues with reaching valves etc.

Instead of doing those strechy suits theyd better setup a good system that can produce custiom suits quickly and cheap then it will resolve the issue.

Bare had a nice Tech suit and they screwed it up. The valve is in a wrong place, the outer layer cannot withstand rubbing aginst harness. The seams are rubbing agains the zipper and killing it

They should through out their wrong size chart0s or educate their dealers (my feet were measured 3!!!! sizes bigger) and my suit is bigger as well. Remove the ATR as it does nothing but letting the pants drop down

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom