New Bare SB System Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the person I contacted at Bare, you cannot attach a pocket to the material.( they have not figured it out either ). Since it is a stretchy fabric, no glue will properly adhere to the suit. Now according to a few Bare dealers I spoke with, they confirm the same. No after market pockets will work on this suit.

Even the installation of a P-valve may be an issue.

Bare missed the majority of the market with this.

Oh, that thigh pocket is a deal-breaker. Not only is it useless, but it looks as though it would impede putting an after-market pocket on the suit.

According to the person I contacted at Bare, you cannot attach a pocket to the material.( they have not figured it out either ). Since it is a stretchy fabric, no glue will properly adhere to the suit. Now according to a few Bare dealers I spoke with, they confirm the same. No after market pockets will work on this suit.

Even the installation of a P-valve may be an issue.

Bare missed the majority of the market with this.

I guess I understand what they are saying, but it makes no sense. If nothing sticks to the suit, how do they fuse the seams together to make it waterproof? How do the seals stick to the suit? The zipper? Even if you stitch them in, you have to waterproof it somehow. How is the pocket any different??

That just doesn't make sense to me. I had a sample here for a couple weeks, but they wouldn't let me play with it....If those other items can be attached, and the suit panels attached, pockets shouldn't be an issue.

That was what I was thinking, too -- SOMETHING has to stick to it (unless it's RF welded or something) and the stretch shouldn't really be an issue, because you can put pockets on a wetsuit.

I agree...my argument was just that...Pockets stick to wetsuits, why not to this material.
Bare cannot guarantee aftermarket pockets will stick if glued. [From what they said). But glue still has a flexibility when dry. I can see pockets or items glued to the suit separate at stress points. But on a thigh where limited stretch is needed, hard to think a properly glued pocket will peel off. But then again. How stretchy is this material to void any gluing of aftermarket pockets...does not have any logic to it.

Even if you can glue the pockets with the stretchability of the material you may end up with them being on your ankles once you put few spools, SMB, wet notes, couple of pounds of double enders etc :)

Well, why can't they make pockets out of the same material and then use whatever process they use to join the pieces together to attach it to the suit? Apparently they can put zippers on the thing.

Even if you can glue the pockets with the stretchability of the material you may end up with them being on your ankles once you put few spools, SMB, wet notes, couple of pounds of double enders etc :)

It is not that stretchy :wink:

It's a good question -- they get seams to hold, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom