New caver, trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This just in: Another Northeast Atlantic diver found in Florida karst system.

OK, the plan was to complete the IANTD 8-day full cave course by leaving all my stereotypical northeast boat attitudes at home, show up “blank slate”, and get the full cave experience. Through a complicated course of events, I found an instructor who is best described as a mentor with strong academic ties to technical diving, the Florida karst, caves, anthropology, and cave fauna. He also lives in a below-ground eco-friendly house that he built and makes his own biodiesel, but I digress. He turned out to be a perfect fit for my personal style of learning.

Game on! Mandatory stop at Luraville Country Store, get lunch and plan the day on the table. The tabletop is an artist’s rendition of the Peacock system. I was immediately struck by the absolute absence of rushing or any perceived need to get anything done in a timely fashion. Aren’t we supposed to be doing something right now guys??? This was my first exposure to cave community mindset. Pre-dive caving is nothing at all like tearing across NJ in the early morning hours in a scopolamine fog to catch a boat that IS going to leave at 7:00AM with or without me. -Take time to visualize your dive before you enter the water??? OK, this could get to be nice.

Standard start, my buddy and I are following lines in Orange Grove, first topside through the brush then underwater through a serious maze of tree branches. (This guy isn’t kidding! We just got started and I’m in a major entanglement!) Didn’t do as well as I had hoped with respect to silt. Next, repeat everything while sharing air and can’t see. On and on the drills continue. Mental note: don’t start a cave class with weak dive skills, things aren’t going to “just work out somehow”. I thought that my skills were fairly decent, yet I was struggling on day one. I wasn’t at all happy about my trim, hoping to get that ironed out in this course. My instructor assured me that proper trim will happen. We run our lines into the cavern then repeat everything. Ran a line to the famous sign at the end of the cavern, turn lights off, “experience the cavern”. OK, if that little patch of bluish light way up there means I’m still in a cavern, fine by me, call it what you want, but this is a fricking cave! Little did I know that I would be returning very close to here to complete the Peacock to Olsen (and back) traverse. I know that this particular traverse is absolutely nothing to you real cave divers, but to me, it remains a very big personal accomplishment.

Sinks, sumps, springs, sloughs, and siphons. My favorite is the return trip in a spring. Endless do’s and don’ts, accident analysis, buddy system. Blew a stupidly simple tie-in to a jump, headed into the circuit with the “toy” dragging behind me. Most embarrassing and alarming, -that won’t ever happen again. The dumbest little thing can get you hopelessly lost in a cave. Beginning to see that just entering a cave and exiting unscathed is not cave diving. Cave diving is all about an ongoing personal obsession with skills, improvement, and endless important details.

Everything went precisely right for a moment and I found myself in perfect visibility hovering over several small blind crayfish at Jackson Blue. Beautiful place. This helped me to comprehend the caver’s obsession with visibility. Finally “got it” on dive number fourteen or so. It is impossible for me to describe the feeling of following a spring’s flow through a bedding plane into a crystal clear room with no backscatter from your light. A big part of cave diving is about protecting the cave, clear water, and the team skills needed to keep it that way for other cavers to enjoy.

Worked on trim, valve drills, gear changes. Gave up my old ratty-but-dependable DR Rec Wing for a DR Nomad. Things started coming together, easier to reach my valves. I did much better at frog kicking over the unforgiving clay bottom at Peacock. I must have brought my ocean RMV with me, never seemed to have enough gas. My instructor took me to Cave Adventurers and Ed set me up with his slick way to bungee sidemount my Al80 travel gas while still using my backmounted HP 100’s. “Don’t buy it yet, borrow mine first and try it out.” Sweet! Shocked at how LDS’ seem to work together in cave country. I also found that cavers tend to be very helpful toward each other. Trim kicked in, things really started coming together. I can fly. I still can’t drop my sidemount travel tank and clip it off without hesitating, but I can practice that anywhere.

New gear, new mistakes. Stressed from rolling a post shut in a vertical restriction and thinking I depleted my back-gas then going to my travel tank that I had neglected to turn back on after retrieving it. More things to practice.

Final day, Jackson Blue. Second time at this cave, JB could very easily become my favorite cave. Lost line drill in a breakdown room: Lights off, not allowed to peek, sitting on top of an immense flat topped boulder in a breakdown room with nothing but “way down” all around me. Never felt so lost. Bad tie-off with my search reel, didn’t orient properly in the current, blew “line sense”, couldn’t remember which side of the room the gold line was on, sweating my gas supply –should always know, but didn’t think to check before “lights out”, well into my second third, really wished that I had been attending to these details before the drill started. Situational awareness is the first victim of stress. In spite of my best efforts, I made a mess of the place before I finally found the line. I felt very bad about ruining the visibility for others that I knew were in the cave. If anyone thinks that it would be easy to find a line in a cave…

Long hard week of nothing less than 10 hour days, feeling very stressed (stress is cumulative –learned that lesson on day one), each day with the same mental load, constantly thinking and problem solving for myself and buddy. Same for him. No one thing was all that hard, but when everything was put together and served up in an easy but relentless fashion, it wears on you. Like fighting the current at Ginnie trying to get to the lips in the Devil’s system. I ripped through my gas supply while my instructor hovered above me near the ceiling and well out of the main flow. That was his teaching style, explain the simple concept (yeah, yeah, that makes sense) while in class or driving to the site then test us for “lesson learned” using hard experience.

Nearing the end. What a surprise! I had the great pleasure of meeting Denisegg at Jackson Blue. Wonderful person. I really didn’t want to silt the place up for her but the lost-line drill put an abrupt end to that wish. She was ever so nice, but I still cringe when I think about it. Sorry, Denise!:(

Final revenge of the karst: Exited JB’s cavern at night, tried to unclip my sidemount in the head-pool when the flow caught my fins and inverted me at the surface. Fins on the surface -no traction, face down in the eelgrass, the phrase “discharged un-improved” came to mind. Temporarily helpless, could only laugh at myself. Apologized, tucked tail, and headed home.

Without question, this was the best course I have ever taken. I must return soon. I still can’t believe what I have learned, where I have been, and what I have seen. Caves are special places. Skilled cave divers have my respect and admiration. The NE Atlantic Ocean remains my home, but caves are indeed very special places and I am a newbie caver.:D

lowviz.

Congrats! I'm pretty sure we bumped into you during your last day at JB.

:shocked2:Saw me at my best

-Just wait until next time...:D

lol. We saw you on the surface. I think Sam spoke to you and I spoke to your instructor.

Sounds suspiciously like we might have had the same instructor. I felt the same way about my course.

PD

Congratulations, Lowvis. I enjoyed reading your report. Where in the northeast are you from?

I'm sure we were there the same day you were cause I also met Denise for the first time that weekend at JB. She is soooooooooo nice, to the point of unbelievable but she is just that nice, and funny as hell. That girl had me in stitches all weekend.

You were definitely not the side mount student with the leaky 6" SPG hose I met. I spoke to several side mount divers that weekend but don't recall which one you were. I was the loud mouth New Yawker who invaded the quiet setting of JB but not the one who fell at the exit point....:rofl3:

May I ask the name of your instructor?

Congrats! Now you need to come back down and do some diving while everything is still fresh.

I just finished Intro last month. It thought it was pretty intense as it was. I can't imagine doing the full program in 8 days. I had no problems at all with the lost line search (lucky?). I did not think I did well on the lost buddy search or the zero visibilty OOA exit. Like you, I was not happy with my gas consumption in the Ear.

I knew it. I had Geg Stanton as well. Awesome course. I can't wait to return to the caves.

PD

-cave diving is addictive isn't it...
Congrats! Now you need to come back down and do some diving while everything is still fresh.

I just finished Intro last month. It thought it was pretty intense as it was. I can't imagine doing the full program in 8 days. I had no problems at all with the lost line search (lucky?). I did not think I did well on the lost buddy search or the zero visibilty OOA exit. Like you, I was not happy with my gas consumption in the Ear.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom