New Comprehensive Nauticam Nikon D850 Review!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackConnick

Jack Connick
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
We've published our new Nikon D850 Review on our blog:

8df7840c-1d06-4666-ad18-c6dcb7f90d0a.jpg

Nikon’s new D850 full-frame camera is proving to be one of their most popular cameras ever, and what’s not to like? A massive 46MP sensor with resolution that matches or exceeds film, fast autofocus (AF) borrowed from the pro-level D5, low base 64 ISO to better capture bright scenes and a fast 7 fps frame rate with an electronic front curtain shutter, for just a start.

Matching that are improved flash electronics, TTL protocols and 4K video. For those D800 and D810 underwater photographers who fell in love with shooting full-frame images, the upgrade is intriguing.

I’ve shot many different cameras underwater, from small compacts and several Olympus mirrorless models, to other Nikon DX DSLRs. The Nikon D500 (review here), certainly is one of my favorites. Snappy performance and incredible low-light focusing make it ideal for many underwater photographers, especially for macro and black water. But I really fell head over heels in love with the incredible dynamic range of the full-frame D800. (See comparison article.) As slow and heavy as it was, it still solidly cranked out some amazing shots. But the technology and electronic features of these cameras changes quickly and I was ready for a faster, newer generation.

Heard, but Not Seen?
The new Nikon D850 FX camera hit the streets last fall, and while everyone has been waiting impatiently, due to its popularity and Nikon’s low production levels, most would-be buyers haven’t been able to find one. In a rare event, housings were available almost immediately. For my first trip to Fiji in December with the D850 it meant that I had to rent a body.

I use LensRentals.com a lot for these sorts of situations, as it’s a great way to “try before you buy” for cameras and lenses. But by the time we left for my second trip to Yap and Palau this spring, I was able to buy a D850 body. Between the two trips, I now have around 60 dives on the new D850 and Nauticam housing system, and love it! ... Read more on blog

Last edited:
Thanks John. I’ve always want to get a underwater SLR housing since the D1days but I could never justify spending $$$$$ on a housing because I knew a better DSLR was around the corner. Now that I have the D850 I think the time is right, this camera checks all the boxes it seem upgrade proof

Thanks! Give us a call and we'd be happy to help with any questions.

How do you think it compares to the Sony? Same sensor more or less, but in a smaller package.
Bill

I haven't shot the a7III, just the a7 and a7II. My experience was that there are better w/a lens options with the Nikon that are less expensive and the AF is rock solid. I much prefer an optical viewfinder and the D8500/D850 are super large and bright. I don't much like the Sony menus eitther, many items are buried. Nikon isn't great, but it works well - maybe I'm more used to it. Panasonic has great menus for instance.

I also felt that the Sony AF tended to bounce a bit with sensor shift issues, especially in macro - although this is supposed to be much better on the a7III series.As far as size and weight - by the time you configure the a7 series with a large FX mid-range zoom lens, adapter, extension and 180 dome or larger, there's little, if any, size/weight savings.

That said, no question that the Sony is better for video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom