New discovery of WWII HMS submarine wreck in Libya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Arebi,
Thanks for finding the previously unknown resting place of my dear uncle, Wallace Barrow. One day I hope to visit the area with my family to pay my respects.
With grateful thanks
Judy Barrow

More families reacted to our discovery of the HMS P32 submarine in Libya:

Arebi,

I was very interested to hear of your discovery of the wreck of the p32 submarine.

My uncle, James Winter, lost his life in this incident. You have worked so hard to discover the identity of the wreck. My mother, who is James's sister is in ill health at the moment and until recently has never had any facts about the death of her brother.

Your discovery has brought a sense of closure and comfort to my mother, myself and the rest of the family.

My uncle was only 21 years old when he lost his life.

Thank you for all your hard work and taking such an interest, it has made a difference to us.

Regards
Sue Thorpe
(Liverpool, England)

Arebi diving team investigated the conning tower of the Royal navy HMS submarine P32 sunk off Tripoli Libya on 18 august 1941.

Another shot as we can see a direct view looking down on the conning tower.

Arebi

Attachments

• Conning Tower P32  Arebi.JPG
    Conning Tower P32 Arebi.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 775
Arebi, thank you so much for sharing what I hope is just a prelude to a wonderful story. For those like me who love submarine books, stories and movies, this sounds like a great adventure.

For the families who have had the nightmares of war resurrected, I can only imagine that the news is bittersweet. To those families I send my deepest condolences, and to their men of HMS P32 I hold the greatest respect...and send heartfelt thanks for the ultimate sacrifice that they made.

I sincerely hope, Arebi, that you have kept records of your long and persevering search. I hope that you will consider putting it all together as a book. I'm sure that many of the families would consider this as a final tribute to the memories of their lost ones, and that the museum would include it in their exhibition. For the rest of us, it would provide a chance to relive the last days of an heroic crew who fought and died to preserve what we have today.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your post, I am looking to get ww2 submarine books to help us as reference, I will appreciate to advice me for some related books.

Arebi

Thanks for your post, I am looking to get ww2 submarine books to help us as reference, I will appreciate to advice me for some related books.

Arebi[/QUOTE]

I am sure that writing the book will not be an easy task, if done properly. I am not an historian so cannot help with the recommendation of any books of an historical nature.

However, here are some of my initial thoughts:

1. Define the purpose of writing the book. Is it purely for history? Is it for profit? Is it both?
2. Define the audience that you are writing the book for. Is it only for the families? Is it for scuba divers? Defining the audience will determine how the book is written. If it is only for history, then the book will be filled with facts and pictures. If it's for divers and the families, then a story, based on the facts, can be woven in.
3. You should have no problems finding research info. If the sub was sunk by the Italians, then they most likely have some historical information somewhere that will help develop the story. The research, in this case, is not about submarines in particular but about the naval war.
4. If you haven't already read "Shadow Divers", which is an account of the discovery of U-869 off the coast of New Jersey here in the U.S., you should. The book is very interesting and may give you some ideas.
5. Give thought to having a professional writer actually write the book.

I wish I could be of more help immediately. I'm sure if you ask here on Scubaboard for advice, you will find someone who can help even more.

On our last recent expedition to the Royal navy HMS P32 submarine wreck in Tripoli - Libya

The loss of the HMS P32 caused a sensation when it was reported hitting mine off Tripoli – Libya on August 18, 1941 after sailing from Malta.
in which 30 submariners lost their lives in a disaster explosion that remains shrouded in mystery.

Aware that the site remains the last resting-place of the crew, our team of 4 divers, led by Mohamed Arebi, took nothing from the site other than video footage. The video has been investigated to solve the mystery behind the cause of the explosion accident since 18 august 1941.

Diving to such great depths requires the use of special gas mixtures and is fraught with complexities. We are the only Libyan diving team qualified and able to employ this technology.

Arebi diving team work hard and make extensive history research on the U-class British submarine, a remarkable discovery when several parts of the P32 submarine s bow (port side) shows the hull steel were twisted toward outside as an evidences that the explosion appear to come from inside the submarine.

As well reference to the Lieutenant Commander( one of the two survivors) Abdy s report of March 1943, in which he sets out the circumstances of the loss.
Saying: I have the impression that the explosion appeared to come from inside the submarine but I have no proof at all.

Thanks

Arebi

Attachments

• Bow of P32 wreck port side u.JPG
    Bow of P32 wreck port side u.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 683
  • P32 wreck looking from stern u.JPG
    P32 wreck looking from stern u.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 890
Thanks for the update.:thumbs_up:

Back
Top Bottom