New Dive Resort, But No New Dive Site, Coming For West Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olin Miller has a big compressor system right below the Cracked Conch restaurant and there is minimal sound transmission. For sure Living the Dream will sound insulate as well.

I think all of Lighthouse Point/Divetech's objections were spurious. I guess they just didn't want anyone encroaching on their business.

Until it's installed, there is no way of knowing whether Living the Dream will be good neighbors and insulate their compressors or not. If their inclination is in line with the way they're moving next door to LHP, it doesn't look too promising. But, I'll admit, that's my conjecture.

On the other hand, the Easterbrooks have gone to the expense of filling tanks off site and transporting them to the LHP dive shop. It's more costly for them to do that, but it also demonstrates the respect they have for the community, their customers and the guests at LHP.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to having twice or more the number of divers on the LHP miniwall. The Easterbrooks and Divetech have done a lot to keep that reef in good shape and populated -- culling lionfish and maintaining low-impact diving and watersports. Living the Dream has done nothing, and yet they stand to profit from everything Divetech and the Easterbrooks have done.

As for "throwing their weight around," the Easterbrooks and Divetech have done a lot for scuba diving and dive tourism on Grand Cayman. The most driving force for bringing the Kittywake to Grand Cayman and West Bay was Nancy Easterbrook. If not for Jay Easterbrook's dock designs, Cobalt Coast and LHP wouldn't have the boat access and shore diving their customers enjoy. Divetech has a well-earned reputation for being a premier dive training center, and its staff have been consistently honored as being among the best instructors in Grand Cayman. The Easterbrooks' philanthropy and their support of kids' and underwater photography programs, community and ecological events have benefited divers and Cayman for years. I haven't seen any evidence that Living the Dream has done anything like that. Instead, it looks to me like they've attached themselves to LHP like a leach attaches to a host.

It's not the LHP miniwall. It's the Cayman Islands miniwall. Anything beyond the tideline belongs to the crown. Living the Dream or any other operator for that matter, has a right to buy, build and enjoy the profits. I agree the Easterbrooks have had a positive impact on GC diving but so have many others who are not trying to maintain a monopoly on a piece of the wall.

Gary and Liz are good people and they currently run an outstanding boat diving operation. I'm sure they will do the same at the proposed NW Point location if given the opportunity.

On the other hand, the Easterbrooks have gone to the expense of filling tanks off site and transporting them to the LHP dive shop. It's more costly for them to do that, but it also demonstrates the respect they have for the community, their customers and the guests at LHP.

Arguably the costs of buying and installing a new compressor and bank system at LHP would have been much more than the ongoing costs to transport tanks pumped elsewhere.

Other companies such as Red Sail operate a centralized fill station and shuttle tanks to individual sites rather than operating multiple compressors.

Arguably the costs of buying and installing a new compressor and bank system at LHP would have been much more than the ongoing costs to transport tanks pumped elsewhere.

Arguably, they already had a large compressor and bank system for both air and Nitrox at Cobalt Coast. When they left Cobalt Coast, the whole system had to go, too. It would have been cheaper for them to simply move it to LHP rather than find/rent/buy a new home for the equipment and truck the tanks to and from LHP. Just arguably sayin'.

Arguably, they already had a large compressor and bank system for both air and Nitrox at Cobalt Coast. When they left Cobalt Coast, the whole system had to go, too. It would have been Eveint per for them to simply move it to LHP rather than find/rent/buy a new home for the equipment and truck the tanks to and from LHP. Just arguably sayin'.

They opened LHP in 2009, well before they knew they would be leaving Cobalt Coast which occurred in late 2015. To move their setup to LHP after they closed at CC would have required retrofitting LHP to provide space for a compressor/banks setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom