New Diver Certification: Shallow Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Anyone want to tell me exactly what IS a resort course?

Heard the term countless times but still no idea what it is.

In my world, a "resort course" is a DSD conducted in the ocean where there's more to see than just the usual pool views of hairballs and bandaids. Others may have different definitions.

String:
Anyone want to tell me exactly what IS a resort course?

Heard the term countless times but still no idea what it is.

Don't know for sure, but probably has something to do with an all-you-can-eat buffet and all the cheap-brand booze you can drink?

:wink:

The shallow water course was designed for those who wanted to use the Rapid Diver or equivelant. Since the LARGEST tank is 30 cf, there is a limited depth of also 30 ft. They have to learn the tables/computers and ALL of the skills required for Scuba Diving except of course, having to break down the equipment.

Yes, I am an instructor for this course.

A resort course, is short is a "intro" to scuba. When I did mine (which pushed me to do a full course in NorCal) It was a 2 hour class room session, about 30 minutes in a pool, and then 2 boat dives that went to about 20-25 feet in Hawaii. Not the most detailed, but relatively safe, and i got bit by the bug big time that week.

Now I think the resort course I took may have been more (for lack of a better word) advanced. As I said the instructor took 2 hours in the class room, covered basic dive tables, a lot of safty talks and really encouraged you to come back for a full class. (I am sure they wanted to sell a c-card)

I eneded up doing 3 or 4 "Intro" courses with them that week, as I was on vacation and didn't have time or inclination to spend more time in class. But i did sign up for a OW class as soon as I got home

mjatkins:
In my world, a "resort course" is a DSD conducted in the ocean where there's more to see than just the usual pool views of hairballs and bandaids. Others may have different definitions.
What is DSD?

ekewaka:
What is DSD?
Discover Scuba Diving.

It’s the top four feet that kill and shortened courses do not reduce the chance of the kind of panic that makes those four feet deadly.

I'm not dissing the course as I don't know enough about it, but why, Pete, wouldn't someone want to go ahead and get the last two dives in and get a open water diver cert. From the article, the academics are at least equal if not superior to other ow courses. The course can't be that much cheaper than the ow cert.

So, what's next? A Very Shallow Open Water Diver (VSOWD) course... limited to 15 ft, no real dives required for certification?

I've encountered so many OW divers that exceed their certification depth limits (one diving solo to 144 feet!)... what's to stop these divers from going to 100 ft?

No clue?

So, what's next? A Very Shallow Open Water Diver (VSOWD) course... limited to 15 ft, no real dives required for certification?

Nope, AOWS-Advanced Open Water Snorkeling, you wear the snorkel but breath through a reg, your just limited to no decent and must stay on the surface. All the scuba cachet and swagger with none of that pesky "skills" stuff to get in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom