New Diver Certification: Shallow Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to teach DS (Discover Scuba) and DSD (DS Diving) every other day The difference was the skill set DS was look thru this (mask) kick with these (fins) stick this in your mouth and breathe (reg) don't hold your breath in very shallow water (4 ft pool).

The DSD was done the same as PADI's O/W confined water lesson 1 and the next day they dove with myself and a DM at a site that was 30 feet deep.
Did this in ST. Croix so I don't know how many went on to full cert. but they sure had fun while I was with them.
And yes I took the time to teach them how to use a BC to stay off the bottom.

Both of those have a lot of merit for introducing new people to Scuba. I took a DSD course like that on Saba once before lunch, after lunch we dived a reef. Didn't have the money to pursue diving then, but a few years later - took a 10 minute intro course on a boat and dived a reef, then a wreck, then a 100 ft deep reef. Each student had a personal DM, but I still shudder about that experience.

The Shallow Dive Course introduced here, tho - will allow very minimum trained divers to buy air fills for their 30 cf tanks and dive on their own. I expect a high rate of OOA incidents when they go below their intended limits.

I'm sure that NetDoc teaches a very safety oriented class including why they shouldn't exceed the limits. I guess the development of the Rapid Diver kit came out of some perceived need for quick access to shallow searches by police officers and life guards; next, the manufacturer sees that the Rapid Diver is not selling to real divers so develops a course aimed at his product...??

DandyDon:
- took a 10 minute intro course on a boat and dived a reef, then a wreck, then a 100 ft deep reef. Each student had a personal DM, but I still shudder about that experience..??

Holy moley! 10 minute intro, then dove, dove, and then dove to 100 ft! Wow, it is like doing OW, AOW and deep diver specialty all in one.

Well, they do say, and I keep on reading in in these free scuba magazines - diving is safer than bowling!!!

fisherdvm:
Holy moley! 10 minute intro, then dove, dove, and then dove to 100 ft! Wow, it is like doing OW, AOW and deep diver specialty all in one.

Well, they do say, and I keep on reading in in these free scuba magazines - diving is safer than bowling!!!
It was the far Caribbean. Rules are but suggestions, and I didn't know any better then.

It did leave me with an introduction that scuba was really easy, etc - it took a lot for me to accept the facts....

Some of the "courses" from these agencies are very troubling if you ask me. All about marketing of course.

I am waiting for PADI or somesuch to offer an "Amniotic Fluid Diver Certification Course" .

Don't laugh. This whole business has a very sleazy side to it if you ask me. Nothing surprises me any more.

Sy

Don Wray:
Has anyone else read the latest Alert article on the newest less than Basic Open Water Cert? It's a shallow diver certification which limits the unsupervised diver to 30 feet. It is promoted as a cheaper course requiring less time to become certified. And no, it's not a PADI course, it's SDI.

How about toddler dive class? They have mom and baby swim class, right? Babies lungs might be more compliant, and less likely to get air embolism?

fisherdvm:
How about toddler dive class?

How about a Psychic Diver Class... answer three questions on the internet, watch 4 epiodes of "Sea Hunt"... and send in the $50... Doesn't really allow you to do anything other than lay in a bathtub and blow bubbles... but it will give you a 'C-card'.. :rofl3:

Shallow water diving Texas style!

xhamm.jpg

Read the same article as mentioned in the OP. I heard of the compact scuba units some months ago. I figured there'd be a course with more restrictions than the OW as a result. If the shallow divers are a special breed of human that are especially capable of staying within the limits, it could be a great thing. Like DandyDon, I suspect we will see OOA.

Question to any petite females. Is the gear a big put-off to you? For an 80 pound lady, a traditional scuba rig is a large increase in weight.

DandyDon:
Didn't have the money to pursue diving then, but a few years later - took a 10 minute intro course on a boat and dived a reef, then a wreck, then a 100 ft deep reef. Each student had a personal DM, but I still shudder about that experience.

Off topic, but I can't help but ask. Was that 100 foot dive the third of the day? If so what depths were the earlier dives? Any DCS symptoms you can recall?

This sounds like good marketing. I guess it would get more people interested in Scuba. I would hope they would go get more training if they really like scuba after taking this course.

Thanks for sharing Don great posts as usual.

Back
Top Bottom