New Suunto D4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive computers which require a return to the factory and 2-4 weeks of turnaround are a royal PITA to those who live in remote places. It forces one to have, at minimum, two computers... or four as I have so I can dive with a minimum of two at a time.

Buddhasummer:

Suunto decided that the trade off for a 3-4 year battery life interval by using a metal backplate and bezel out weighed the problems that could come of a unit with a user replaceable wristop. Remember Suunto has far more experience in this arena than anyone else and has moved away from that direction. I'm not here to say that you'll have problems with the Epic or Atom 2; I'm certain you'll be perfecty happy with either choice. I'm just saying that Suunto has seen far too many cases that were compromised because of stress in the plastic case. Good Luck and have a Happy New Year!

DR
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me, but does that mean the Suunto Mosquito is prone to flooding having the plastic user replaceable battery?

Dive computers which require a return to the factory and 2-4 weeks of turnaround are a royal PITA to those who live in remote places. It forces one to have, at minimum, two computers... or four as I have so I can dive with a minimum of two at a time.

Uuuhhh wouldn't 3 computers be enough??

sent 1 off, dive the other 2 etc.

Still that is one more comp than I intent to own.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me, but does that mean the Suunto Mosquito is prone to flooding having the plastic user replaceable battery?

Buddhasummer,

I never implied that the Mosquito was prone to flooding or any of the other computers you mentioned. But now that you bring that up, all manufacturers' computers can and have been compromised because of user replaceable batteries, I've witnessed plenty in all my dive trips. Some individuals do a better job than most at this task. I merely said that the D4's case is a new one and one that is reinforced with a metal backplate and bezel. And because it's done that way it will have to go back for battery replacement every 3-4 years, not such a bad deal when you think that it's being done by a professional. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck out there.

DR

Does anyone know when the D4 is going to be available, and at what price?

In japan they say around march and at current Ex rate around $800 USD, I assume it will be similar in the States...

Does anyone know when the D4 is going to be available, and at what price?

Gombessa,

We were told at DEMA that the D4 will be available sometime this month. I would guess the latter part. The Price wil be $650.00.

DR

Gombessa,

We were told at DEMA that the D4 will be available sometime this month. I would guess the latter part. The Price wil be $650.00.

DR

Not bad. So we're probably looking at around $600 street, eventually $550 at LP? I was hoping for a bit lower than the D6, but I can understand the price positioning.

In the UK, the D4 is going to be £299, which is about £160-170 cheaper than the D6 with a rubber strap.

Got a prototype of the D4 that I have been playing with for a few months and it is a nice unit. Anyone familiar with the D6/D9 or the Vyper2/Cobra2 will have no problems navigating around the menus. The screen is much the same display as the D6/D9 and it fits in with the 'family look' much better than the Mosquito it replaces.

The freediving modes on the computer are neat, and it is sure to find favour with all the breath-hold divers out there. Especially due to the separate freediving log.

Mark

The user's manual for the D4 is not available (yet) on Suunto website. However, Google indicated its availability on the Aqualung one.... the full one (100 pages).

http://www.aqualung.com/technical_li...en_highres.pdf

Here are the differences found in the user's manual between the D6 and D4:
- Plastic body on D4
- No electronic compass (D6 only)
- Weight : 85g/3.0 oz (D6: 113g/3.98 oz)
- Oxygen %: 21-50% (21-99% on D6)
- Oxygen partial pressure display: 0.5-1.6 bar (0.2-3 bar on D6)
- Recording interval: new free dive mode (default 1 second, adjustable 1, 2, 5s)
- Higher memory capacity : 80 hours of diving (D6: 36 hours), with 20 second recording interval d'intervale) contre 36 heures
- Battery life is shorter on D4 : 0 dives/y –> 2 years, 100 dives/year –>1,5 years, 300 dives/year –>1 year (D6: 0 dives/y - 3 years, 100 dives/year – 2 years, 300 dives/year – 1.5 years)

Besides the above differences, other technical specifications are pretty much the same between D4 and D6.

Alphazo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom