New to Palos Verdes area... couple questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hittman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
San Diego native, just moved to LA for work after spending a year in Hawaii surfing, SCUBA, freediving, and snorkeling (and working there too). Looking to learn related info for the LA area. Right now I'm kind of centering my immediate interest on the Palos Verdes area due to topography which looks like it might have some opportunity for calmer water/better vis; swell shadowing from island chains and the ability to go south in Winter to avoid north swells, or the ability to go north to avoid summer swells.

I had some immediate questions if anyone can help me out?

1. Is there any web site or phone number for LA I can call to get a daily dive visibility report? In San Diego there's a lifeguard phone # which provides dive viz, temperature, and a lot more. In Hawaii I had to look at conditions, where the swell was coming in from, use local knowledge of bays, and make educated guesses.
  2. Is there anywhere near Palos Verdes with public beach shower situations where I can wash gear off? My apt complex doesn't really have this functionality, don't want to send sand down its' old drains. Going to bring a few 2-liters full of water (or a 5 gal gas can) for some wash off, but a beach shower would be preferred, if available. Sites I'm immediately looking at are Terranea/old Marineland, White Point, Abalone Cove. Have heard Malaga might have showers but couldn't find em on a map.
I'm also interest in meeting up with new people for dive related stuff.

Thanks for any assistance.

There are no vis report numbers that I know of, but divers have such a varied view of what visibility is it doesn't matter. I watch the swell models and live beach cameras and try to dive when it's been calm for at least two days. We've had a persistent algal bloom around Palos Verdes since May.

The only sites with public showers are Vet's Park in Redondo Beach, Marineland (Terranea) in Rancho Palos Verdes and Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro.

Most of Palos Verdes diving is from boats such as the Giant Stride, Avante, and Island Diver or from various goat trails at each site. I used to bring a couple of milk cartons with water leave them on my dashboard to heat up for post-dive showers.

There is a loose group called DiveVets that meet at Vet's on Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings and Marineland on Sunday mornings. Pacific Wilderness dive club also has regularly scheduled beach dives as well as boat charters.

Vet's Park showers

Cabrillo Beach showers

Marineland showers

Thanks man. Took my floating holiday off work today and did some exploring. As I thought when I got to Marineland even though there was a west swell, it was largely blocked by the land, and only had 0-1ft water level changes. Still that 1ft of water was pushing in and out several feet of water creating some surge. At the easternmost portion of Cobblestone beach, water was kind of dirty looking. However the western portion had blue water between surges. Right from shore I was seeing rocks 4-8ft down in the water before it turned black. I *really* wanted to go in. It seemed like it might have been really good for viz for California anyway. But that entry. I'm a klutz, and my healthcare hasn't kicked in at work. Think I'll wait til I have that before trying it.

But any tips for getting in and out of Marineland/Terranea without breaking oneself in half?

I checked out Abalone cove, long hike, swell hitting shore, brownish water in places (would have had to get much closer and spend more time to get a better read, probably end up paying for parking just to look). Checked out White Point, as I figured it had too much west swell, brown water. Can't wait til the west swell dies down and we only have norths for a week. Then things should hopefully clear up at a lot of other spots.

Getting in the water at Marineland should only be done when it's flat or you can easily time the 1-3' waves. Even three feet can be deadly there, and there have been deaths in the cove at Marineland. The best diving is off Long Point 1/4 mile west of the cove. Either enter from the cove and make a long surface swim or enter from the point when it is very flat.

Exits must be timed as well. It's best to remove your fins behind the surf zone as soon as you can stand on the bottom. Make baby steps toward shore quickly, turning sideways to any incoming waves. I don't know anyone who has not been knocked down on the rocks at least once.

If you manage to get in the water on a good day, you will be rewarded with some of the best shore diving in Southern California.

Amazing abundance of life there, thanks for sharing Max. One of the things that always blew me away in Hawaii was the biodiversity and it looks like PV has quite a bit! Kinda amps me up to keep watching the site and try again.

Any way to get in touch with those Dive Vets to maybe get my feet wet so to speak?

Thanks again for your help

The swells are expected to pick up again after Wednesday, but usually, they meet in the parking lot at Vet's after 6:00 PM on Wednesdays, 8:eek:o AM on Saturdays and 8:00 in the public parking lot at Terranea on Sundays.

I don't go on Facebook, but I believe Pacific Wilderness has a page there with beach dive information as well.

Follow Pacific Wilderness and ask to join the Bubble of Divers FB group; that's where they post updates about their dives at Vet's Park. I try to go on Wednesday nights; maybe I'll see you there.

I rode my bicycle around the peninsula this morning and checked on the showers. They are all working! Visibility still looked horrible everywhere. :(
20191217_092520_HDR.jpg

20191217_092526_HDR.jpg

20191217_093505_HDR.jpg

20191217_093601_HDR.jpg

20191217_093620_HDR.jpg

20191217_093730_HDR.jpg

Cabrillo Beach. Restrooms were open and showers worked. There are several located on the edge of the grass. Parking is only about fifty feet from the showers, so you won't take much dirt home here.

20191217_103812_HDR.jpg

Marineland (Terranea) shower is working. It is located midway between the parking lot and the cove. There are restrooms and a snack bar next to the shower.

20191217_114617_HDR.jpg

20191217_114626_HDR.jpg

Showers at Vet's are located at the base of the main stairs between the restrooms. There are additional showers next to the pier if you park in the lower strip lot.

20191219_124904_HDR.jpg

Showers near the Redondo Beach Pier.
I have posted several dive site reviews that may help familiarize you with Palos Verdes diving at SoCal Dive Site Reviews

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom