New to the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, my name is chris a day I currently live in Amarillo, TX. Back in 2004 I was given a salt water aquarium and started to stock it and immediately wanted to see these animals in their natural habitat. At the time I was stationed at MCAS Miramar and had the ability to get certified at the base pool. I did both beginner and advanced courses and bid 6 open water dives off the there in San Diego. Since then I have not done a single dive since around 2006.

In the past week I was reminded about a natural spring located in Alabama. It's a hole about 15 feet across with an unknown depth. I'm hearing it has never been dove before and very interested n being the first. I am currently trying to contact the land owner to get permission and set a date for middle of this coming summer. My equipment is focused on open water diving and I just started reading on what I need to dive a cave. Seems to be a lot of differences that I will have to consult with my local dive shop about. Yes, we have a dive shop here in Amarillo. Would love for any one to PM me that has experience in this area. I look forward to reading about people's dives and learning to further my knowledge.

Chris

Diving in such an environment is potentially very dangerous. You are still a very novice diver with very little practical dive experience or training. I HIGHLY recommend you save this location for a few hundred dives and a few training certifications later.

I agree with Sortsol, Chris. You have plenty prep to do before attempting such a dive. If you do get hold of the land owner and he allows you to go to this hole, measure the depth using conventional string. Once you have a quantifiable number you can then plan what type of dive it will be and what certification, recreational or technical, you need to do before getting wet.

Welcome to SB; a great place to learn and advance your diving adventures.

Thanks for the replies. Every time I think about it I get chills and picture getting stuck somewhere. First step for sure would be a refresher course and more dives. There is a hole in new mexico a couple hours from me that does courses and dives. I think I should start there. I also need to get my gear inspected.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom