New to the sport (Purchasing Related)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop
I choose to buy from my LDS. If I add up all the service they have given me, the free tank fills they have thrown my way, the little bits and pieces they have thrown in to get my setup the way I like, and their info and advice and add it all up...I'm ahead of the cost game. Their prices are fair, and as a good customer, I don't have to ask for a bottom-line price. They do right by me, every time. I own one piece of equipment(light) that I bought online only because they do not carry it. They did, however, try to get it but found I could buy it directly. I'm off to Bonaire with the shop owner in October for a two man megadive trip. The folks at the shop are also now some really good friends.
So do what you want. Buy online if you feel the LDS is a rip off. Just don't come crying when you have a problem or your equipment fails or needs service and there is no one local who can help you. If you make that bed, be prepared to lie in it.

I have purchased NON-LIFE SUPPORTING gear online because of the competitive price differences and because of specialty sizes and fit...depending.

I still support my local LDS with other more important purchases...life - supporting gear: BC and Regs.

I would never ever purchase second hand used BC and Regs off of e-bay or even new off of some online site. This is asking for trouble due to condition, performance and warranty issues.

I recommend looking around...taking your time...seeing what is right for you with the kind of diving you wish to do. Definitely try gear on at local LDS...try things out first.

Purchasing dive gear is NOT like purchasing things at K-Mart. You need to know about gear and you need to find what is right for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom