New version of the free (open source) Subsurface divelog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would be REALLY useful if there was a way to import the Shearwater Desktop's DB file (starting dive #, ending dive #, etc) . As it stands right now, Shearwater Desktop only allows a dive-by-dive export in the xml format. I have 500+ dives to import, so that might take awhile. Software looks nice, but right now importing from Shearwater software is a no-go. I cant even get the single dives I export (which is not a "way") to import just to see what the software will do. It will be exciting to see how this open source project progresses. Thanks for getting this off the ground.

Would be REALLY useful if there was a way to import the Shearwater Desktop's DB file (starting dive #, ending dive #, etc) . As it stands right now, Shearwater Desktop only allows a dive-by-dive export in the xml format. I have 500+ dives to import, so that might take awhile. Software looks nice, but right now importing from Shearwater software is a no-go. I cant even get the single dives I export (which is not a "way") to import just to see what the software will do. It will be exciting to see how this open source project progresses. Thanks for getting this off the ground.
Thanks to Shearwater I actually now have access both to a Shearwater Petrel and to their desktop software. My todo list is insanely long, but I am planning to take a look at that and see if we can import data from there in a more convenient fashion.

Hi all, I've been using Ocenalog 2.0 with my VEO 180NX.
I've downloaded the subsurface SW and I would like to import the logged dives in Ocenalog (the PDC only stores the last 24 dives), but Subsurface seems not to be able to load the *dlg files from the Oceanlog. I've also stored the logged dives in TXT format, but also Subsurface do not load TXT files.
Any idea ?

Hi all, I've been using Ocenalog 2.0 with my VEO 180NX.
I've downloaded the subsurface SW and I would like to import the logged dives in Ocenalog (the PDC only stores the last 24 dives), but Subsurface seems not to be able to load the *dlg files from the Oceanlog. I've also stored the logged dives in TXT format, but also Subsurface do not load TXT files.
Any idea ?
Sure - why don't you file a request on trac.hohndel.org and attach both the TXT file and the .dlg file - with any luck we can figure out the format and add an importer for that :)

---------- Post added March 4th, 2013 at 09:45 AM ----------

Oh how I HATE the 'bunching replies together bullsh*t that scubaboard does...

the below is COMPLETELY unrelated to the above... it's a quick announcement of Subsurface 3.0.2...:

This fixes a bunch of bugs - it's most important for people diving CCR with measured pO2 (usually from Shearwater computers). We fixed a rather unfortunate bug there - please read the announcement for details

Last edited:
Ticket #87
Thanks.

I took a quick look at the files. Oh boy. One is an MS Access database (forget about that), the other a somewhat semi-structured text file.
From an interoperability point of view those are two really poor choices.
It will take us a while to figure out how to import this, I'm afraid. We basically would have to write a parser for the text file.

As a workaround... you should be able to import your data into divelogs.de (a free, web based divelog - once you are registered the import from OceanLog is here) and Subsurface will happily import the DLD file export from divelogs.de

Not ideal, but a way to get your data into Subsurface today.

/D

Hi all, if you need a petrel tester, there's another ;-). I paired petrel with the computer (windows 7), also checked in properties, which com port its bluetooth connection emulates, switched petrel to log upload mode. Software started download bar but then stopped with "Dive data import error", Petrel in its own
responded with "ISO 14229 dwnld, wrong seq" message on screen. Subsurface 3.02 on windows, petrel firmware 20080111

Hi all, if you need a petrel tester, there's another ;-). I paired petrel with the computer (windows 7), also checked in properties, which com port its bluetooth connection emulates, switched petrel to log upload mode. Software started download bar but then stopped with "Dive data import error", Petrel in its own
responded with "ISO 14229 dwnld, wrong seq" message on screen. Subsurface 3.02 on windows, petrel firmware 20080111
Yes - this is the behavior we all observe; as I said, we are talking to Shearwater about this and hope to figure out a solution, soon

Yes - this is the behavior we all observe; as I said, we are talking to Shearwater about this and hope to figure out a solution, soon

And here's the solution. Shearwater Research just informed us that they released a new version of the Petrel firmware. I had access to an early version and was able to verify that it fixes the download issue that many users experienced with V8 and V11. Please check New Shearwater Petrel firmware released | Subsurface for details

Hi,

I'm just made my first 2 OW dives today, and used a Cressi Leonardo on those dives. I used subsurface to import the diving profiles (way beter software then Cressi's own software), but I encounter 2 problems (On windows 7 install, both Windows as SubSurface is setup to Dutch locale and language):

1) Although (my deadfull) SAC is being correctly calculated, the total amount of gas used isn't displayed. When I print the dive, it is correctly displayed on the printout.
2) The water temperature isn't imported. I presume this is more likely caused by divelib, but I don't know if and how I can check this (can I debug the read somewhere?). When I try to add the watertemperature directly to the XML, both as a seperate divetemperature flag (air and water), or when I combine them in 1 tag, the water temperature isn't read. (When I screw up the syntax, the XML isn't read at all (btw no warning given))

I used the following flag:

<divetemperature air='12.0 C' />

And although I'm no coder, I think I understood :

{
if (!dc->airtemp.mkelvin && !dc->watertemp.mkelvin)
return;
fputs(" <temperature", f);
show_temperature(f, dc->airtemp, " air='", "'");
show_temperature(f, dc->watertemp, " water='", "'");
fputs(" />\n", f);
}

To put them both in the same flag...

Edited to add: Although Cressi software does import the temperature, Divelog 5.0 doesn't. Since Divelog uses the same divelib library, I suspect that is the culprit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom