Newbie Snorkler Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willieboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guys, I was certified in 1970 and did a fair amount of wreck diving in Lakes Michigan and Superior. However, I'm old now and broken down. I'm going to have the opportunity to do some snorkeling in the Western Caribbean in the fall. As I look at skin diving gear, I think I have settled on the mask, fins and snorkel I'll buy, but have a couple questions regarding a vest. I think a small, minimalist vest makes sense, one that won't present drag as I attempt surface dives to ten feet. There are three that have caught my eye. The Cressi snorkel vest, the Akona snorkel vest and the ScubaPro Cruiser.

I really like the looks of the fit of the ScubaPro Cruiser but wonder about the neoprene back section. With the neoprene, will I have to add weight?

Are there any other vests I should be looking at? In terms of quality and design, does one brand stand out? Do the jacket style vests make sense for snorkelers?

Bill

Why would you need a vest to snorkel? Unless you have a very low BMI you're probably going to float, especially in salt water. Even when I was young and skinny almost entirely muscle and bone I never used a vest. Now being older the most I take when I'm snorkeling is a large (but not huge) SMB. I inflate it, put 1-2# at the bottom and drag it along upright. I only do this when snorkeling somewhere with boats or when I'm with my wife. I give her one as well. She has a tendancy to lose track of where she is and is headed. With the SMB I can find her quickly.

I wonder why they make a vest with highly visible colors but make the BACK either black or dark blue. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the entire vest highly visible? I would want to be seen easily if I was face down just cruising along.

I float like a cork, vest or no vest but, I understand vests are required by many/most guides. I'll be on cruise excursions so I expect a vest will be required.

They pass out the vest's. No worries.

I politely ask if I HAVE to wear the vest. Sometimes it's an insurance mandate and I'm stuck with it. Sometimes they take one look at me, I'm obviously not a newb and likely the strongest swimmer on the boat, and are ok with no vest.

The vest's aren't for floating safety, they're mostly to make you easy to spot, as they are bright yellow.

My wife and I have our own vests, but sometimes the cruise line's shore excursion supplier will make us wear theirs. That way they know that we are their passengers and are legally responsible for us. If something happened and we were not in the right vest ...?

Makes sense. I ordered my vest yesterday, a Akona snorkeling vest. Several years ago, I donated all my diving equipment to the local police department dive team. Included were two old U.S. Divers zip front snorkeling vests for 40 years ago. Wish I still had those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom