News from DEMA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um. Yup, and I have managed to keep the salt water out of the LPI for most of 6000 dives. Kind of like the regulator I learned to service with an autoshutoff so you don't get water in the first stage. Gimmick. At least the particular manufacturer I took the class from acknowledged it was a gimmick and I was welcome to remove it if I had problems with it, and I was assured that I would have problems.
Yup. Seriously grumpy.
Sorry you had a bad DEMA.

What struck me the most about DEMA was not at all about DEMA. At the same time, there was a national finals go-kart competition. They took up a 6 acre parking lot across the street from the convention center as well as a 3 acre parking lot at the North Hall. The participants were in 3 age groups: 5-8, 9-12, 13-17, and an adult class. I stopped and talked to a couple of go-kart moms at Starbucks. They had the whole family there. The kids were in thousand dollar nomex racing suits, and the carts start at $10k for a competition grade cart. the week for the whole family (this was a school week, right?) cost another $$5k, and there were kids, young folks, young families, and smiling happy people with tans and wind-blown faces. Why? Because go-kart racing is a family inclusive event. Now, these folks weren't spending any less than a family dive vacation for 4 by the time you add up the significant equipment costs and travel (sound familiar?) and they couldn't understand why the diving convention attendees (we all wear our badges from the hotel to the convention center and back) were all pale, old, and had white beards and heavy bellies. I actually answered a question about the fact that we all seemed to be "well experienced".

The only way I could answer is that we aren't very inclusive of our young folks and families. SMH

Yup. Seriously grumpy.
Sorry you had a bad DEMA.
Are you kidding? It was my last. It was actually fantastic. And liberating. And it wasn't any different than the last 17, it's me that has been to too many. The key here is that it wasn't any different than the last 17 if you didn't catch that.

What struck me the most about DEMA was not at all about DEMA. At the same time, there was a national finals go-kart competition. They took up a 6 acre parking lot across the street from the convention center as well as a 3 acre parking lot at the North Hall. The participants were in 3 age groups: 5-8, 9-12, 13-17, and an adult class. I stopped and talked to a couple of go-kart moms at Starbucks. They had the whole family there. The kids were in thousand dollar nomex racing suits, and the carts start at $10k for a competition grade cart. the week for the whole family (this was a school week, right?) cost another $$5k, and there were kids, young folks, young families, and smiling happy people with tans and wind-blown faces. Why? Because go-kart racing is a family inclusive event. Now, these folks weren't spending any less than a family dive vacation for 4 by the time you add up the significant equipment costs and travel (sound familiar?) and they couldn't understand why the diving convention attendees (we all wear our badges from the hotel to the convention center and back) were all pale, old, and had white beards and heavy bellies. I actually answered a question about the fact that we all seemed to be "well experienced".

The only way I could answer is that we aren't very inclusive of our young folks and families. SMH

Hi Frank,

Diving and cart racing are two very different activities. Scuba is quite private, cart racing and similar activities are public. You don't win prizes for scuba races and gain the accolades from your fans. You can't have a single family member diving and have the other family members watch and enjoy the activity. It's not good or bad, it's just different.

I've been diving with my son for almost 20 years, since he turned 12. We dived with you and Melanie on the Spree in the summer of 2015, priceless time. I've been diving with my wife and daughter for 14 years, since my daughter turned 12. All four of us dived together about 3 years ago, tough getting everyone together these days. All four of us will be down in Florida after Christmas, I hope the winds and seas cooperate with us. I wouldn't trade this time with my family for anything.

I hope to see you in the next iteration of your scuba life.

Good diving, Craig

Hi Frank,

Diving and cart racing are two very different activities. Scuba is quite private, cart racing and similar activities are public. You don't win prizes for scuba races and gain the accolades from your fans. You can't have a single family member diving and have the other family members watch and enjoy the activity. It's not good or bad, it's just different.

I've been diving with my son for almost 20 years, since he turned 12. We dived with you and Melanie on the Spree in the summer of 2015, priceless time. I've been diving with my wife and daughter for 14 years, since my daughter turned 12. All four of us dived together about 3 years ago, tough getting everyone together these days. All four of us will be down in Florida after Christmas, I hope the winds and seas cooperate with us. I wouldn't trade this time with my family for anything.

I hope to see you in the next iteration of your scuba life.

Good diving, Craig
Yes, it is different, but the point is that cart racing gets the kids involved very young. Of course, cart racing is fast, loud, and is nothing at all like Scuba. My point is only that we don't seem to be very effective at getting young people involved (your children are obviously the exception to the rule), where other activities are very good at getting the young to participate, cost is not the issue.

Reactions: mdb
Yes, it is different, but the point is that cart racing gets the kids involved very young. Of course, cart racing is fast, loud, and is nothing at all like Scuba. My point is only that we don't seem to be very effective at getting young people involved (your children are obviously the exception to the rule), where other activities are very good at getting the young to participate, cost is not the issue.
The parents spend a lot of money getting their kid into something they can watch and may gain them fame, especially in the short time frame. This is a common in today's culture. I'm an old timer. I was a competitive swimmer and played water polo, I was unlikely to gain much fame with either. Things have changed, not necessarily for the better. Immediate gratification is very common these days. In some ways, it's aspirations we instill in our children

New certifications for divers have been declining for over ten years.

The oceans, lake waters, make up over 70% of our planet.

Why this decline?

Is it because of the "short course" that produces newly certified divers who do not have
the confidence to continue diving past their vacation?

In the late 70's and early 80's diving was growing at 10-15% annually. It was still a small
number 250,000 or so real 'new" divers per year with a US population of about 250 million.
A very small percentage of the population.

The number of actual new divers is now well below 250 thousand with a US population of over 330 million.

I have enjoyed diving since 1972.

I enjoyed working with fellow divers for 45 years.

We have something great to offer.

Weightless, free, in the earths womb.

Some here, chronicle this experience with great pics.

For me it is still the quiet peace and solace of the ocean.

That was "demo'ed" to me at the show. I asked how much and the answer was a flippant "just a couple a hundred bucks". I have seldom been so underwhelmed at any booth as much as I was at SP this year.

Of the big companies, Mares are introducing a new Tech line. Cressi were showing new free-diving stuff. Huish had a bunch of new BCs and other stuff. SP - Squadoosh. Worse: They cannot even produce their latest BCD. I would short them.
I just found it humorous because I had just watched a video on Dive Rite's Facebook page of some great new products they're putting out, then I open my Instagram and see this video, as if all Scubapro could muster up this year was a re-branded luggage bag.

And lol @ $200. You can buy a whole luggage set for less than half that.

Last edited:
Scuba diving doesn't seem to have any television presence, and no online presence that targets non-divers.

It seems that the average non-diver doesn't see anything about diving that would spark their interest.

Younger people not being attracted to diving probably has a lot to do with the fact that it never appears on their radar.

There is nothing out there that makes diving look cool to a non-diver.

Back
Top Bottom