news on Madison Quary (Huntsville) land swap deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the city council is getting sneaky after all the divers showed up at a previous meeting.

The council voted to have the land surveyed as a precusor of doing the land
swap deal with the water board, who wants to use the former dive quarry as
a wate source for the city.

Though they haven't ruled out diving in it, it looks like they are not going to wait on the proposals from the diving community (vendors) for use of the quarry.
It looks like this is a "done deal" as they said they have a consensus of the coucil
members for the land swamp

Here's the news story

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/113991221911310.xml&coll=1

Madison considers land swapTuesday, February 14, 2006
By KEITH CLINES
Times Staff Writer kclines@htimes.com
City Council to survey quarry, declare it surplus

MADISON - The Madison City Council agreed Monday night to survey the city-owned quarry property, as a precursor to a land swap with the city's Water and Wastewater Board.

The council also instructed city attorney Anne-Marie Lacy to prepare an ordinance declaring the property surplus and to amend a draft land-swap agreement with the Water and Wastewater Board for consideration at the next council meeting.

At Monday's meeting, council members discussed declaring the property surplus and how quickly it could rezone it from a general industrial zoning district to an agricultural district. Councilman Tommy Overcash said the council can suspend its rules at the next meeting and vote on the ordinance declaring the quarry property surplus.

Scuba-diving enthusiasts last month packed the council chambers asking the council not to swap the property. The group wanted the city to explore other avenues that would allow divers and others to continue using the site south of Interstate 565.

The water board wants to swap 58 acres it owns on Balch Road for the quarry and use it as an emergency water source. The quarry covers about 28 acres of the 105-acre quarry and park.

The city would, in turn, use the Balch Road property for recreation.

Councilman Larry Vannoy said after talking to other council members and Mayor Sandy Kirkindall the consensus was to make the swap.

"I think everybody's ready to move this forward and make it happen," Vannoy said.

No one from the scuba diving community attended Monday night's meeting.

When Councilman Jerry Jennings asked if the council could rezone the property before swapping it, he was told the legal advertising requirements for rezoning the property would add weeks to the process.

"Delay, delay, delay," Councilwoman Cynthia McCollum said.

Vannoy said the water board can ask to rezone property after it takes ownership. Vannoy, Kirkindall and Councilman Steve Haraway make up a majority of the five-member Water and Wastewater Board.

The board will discuss the proposal at its next meeting - Monday at 5 p.m. at its office at 101 Ray Sanderson Drive.

The council Monday night agreed to Kirkindall's proposal that he coordinate the land surveys for the city and the water board and they split the combined cost of the two surveys.

Well, ya know, Mike, they may be trying to look at a win-win situation.
First part, get the land swap deal done and then lease out the site to a dive op.

the Kraken

I'm hoping that's what they are doing.

Scuba divers here in general really don't care who owns the quarry, as long as it's left open to dive. BUt I don't know what interest the local water board has in bothering with the quarry for recreational purposes.

The Kraken:
Well, ya know, Mike, they may be trying to look at a win-win situation.
First part, get the land swap deal done and then lease out the site to a dive op.

the Kraken

I can't hold my breath that long!

That is so SAD. I think we just need to give a couple of council members diving lessons and that would settle it.

I got on here first today to post that there was an article about the Madison Quarry in Dive Training Magazine. I don't know if they realized that the quarrry brought in business to Huntsville/Madison

skybird:
That is so SAD. I think we just need to give a couple of council members diving lessons and that would settle it.

I got on here first today to post that there was an article about the Madison Quarry in Dive Training Magazine. I don't know if they realized that the quarrry brought in business to Huntsville/Madison

I heard that Dive Training was doing an article on it. I'll have to run by my LDS and pick up a copy.

As for whether or not they realize the business it brings in, the council is feeling "burned" by the last diver operator that leased the quarry from the city.
They apparantly hadn't been paying their rent, for the past nine years.
so the city is a little "gun shy" about new operators. They also have
a water problem in the city and they are very narrowmindingly looking
at this as the pay all solution. I don't think they have done all the math
involved to see what it would take to get the quarry as a water source operational
verses the cost of just buying additional water from the City of Huntsville.

One person at the local scuba club meeting stated that the cost of buying
the extra water from Huntsville would only add 67 cents per month more to the
average Madison residents water bill. I'm betting that is a lot cheaper than
putting a water purification plant on that site and maintaining it over the years.

But the city council isn't interested in saving money, they are more interested
in proving their indepence, at the cost to their residents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom