Ni-MH batteries in Princeton-Tec dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had any luck converting a Princeton-Tec Tec-40 dive light to Ni-MH batteries? I have bought some souped-up 1600mAh 1.25V AA batteries (light takes 4 of these), which gives a 5V voltage. The bulb is rated at only 4.8V, yet the light refuses to give even the faintest glimmer. Drop in some alkalines (1.5V each giving 6V total), and it shines nice and bright. I know the Ni-MH batteries aren't faulty, because I swap them into my digital camera and it works (and shows they have a full charge). I know the bulb isn't blown, because it works with alkalines. Not much else to go wrong with these little torches - there's not a shred of circuitry in them.

I emailed Princeton-Tec and they responded within a day, saying that they don't manufacture Ni-MH compatible bulbs for the Tec-40. On the other hand, they have a conversion kit for my Shockwave (my primary dive light until I graduate to a HID). Nice thing about the conversion is it bumps the torch up from a 12W to a 20W output, but the downside is I have to replace the baseplate and reflector - apparently the 20W bulb runs a little hot and melts the standard reflector. Now if they could come up with a HID conversion kit :D

It's been a couple of years since I did any formal physics or math education, but if I've got 4 voltage sources @ 1.25V in serial connection, that's 5V right?!? So why won't they power a 4.8V bulb? I hate buying alkaline batteries (for both cost and environmental reasons), so I can't see why I can't find a way around not having to use them in this particular light - every other piece of electrical gear I own accepts rechargeables. If I was using the Tec-40 as just my backup, I could put up with buying alkalines for it, but I seem to forever be lending it to lightless buddies.

My other question is, if anyone HAS a 4 AA cell light that works with Ni-MH batteries, can you rip the bulb out and post in a reply to this thread the voltage specs of it? They are usually stamped on the base.

And only because it's there, and this is an electrical question, I have to use the :bolt: picture!!!

cheers

Ben

Just a quick followup - Ni-MH batteries work fine in the alkaline version of the Shockwave - I am using 4500mAh C cell batteries.

Just in case anyone ever does a search on this - here is the answer - Radio Shack HPR53 4V 0.85A is the halogen bulb you want for 4 x AA rechargeable (1.2/1.25V) batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom