nikon 12-24 with +2 diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClairevL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently, I'm using a Nikon D7000 with a Tokina 10-17 (fisheye) and Ikelite housing with 8" dome port. I mostly like to photograph large pelagics. However, sometimes, they just won't come that close and for these cases I would like to buy a lens that gives me some more magnification. I was thinking to buy a Nikkor 12-24 and then use it with a +2 close up lens to still get sharp corners.
- Does anyone have experience with the 12-24mm and a +2 close up lens? Do you get sharp corners? And don't you see vignetting? Could anyone recommend a certain +2 close up lens (type/brand)?

Thanks very much in advance!

Are you thinking of a dry diopter, or a wet diopter? If dry, consider an achromat. I've been using the +2 dry diopter trick to get sharper corners with my Olympus 9-18, and I saw a significant difference in sharpness between a cheap single lens diopter and the achromatic diopter.

Thanks very much for your reply! I was thinking to go for a dry one. Good to know tyou saw a significant different between the achromatic one and the single element one. What brand/type did you buy? Somehow I can't find achromatic +2 diopters, only single element +2 or achromatic +3 (mostly from Marumi).

What brand/type did you buy?
The one I bought was Canon brand. That was a 52mm, and I don't know if they make a 77mm (IIRC that's the lens diameter of the Nikon 12-24).

Thanks again. I found out the Canon 500D is also a +2 diopter, but I I also saw it is suitable for lenses with a working distance of 30-135 mm. It seems hard to find an achromatic +2 for the 12-24mm lens.

My diopter is also a 500D, so according to the manufacturer's recommendation it shouldn't fit my 9-18 at all (The 500D and 500 are geared for lenses with a focal length anywhere from 70 to 300mm.). However, it works great for me.

What they're saying about it is for use as a close-up lens topside, not as a correction diopter underwater. If you can check for vignetting issues and find that there aren't any, I wouldn't worry about that myself. YMMV, of course.

I'm indeed a little worried about vignetting. Good to hear it works well for you!
Hopefully there's someone here with a 12-24mm lens and +2 diopter, who can tell me how well it works.
Otherwise I will order one and try it out or go for the Marumi DHG acromat +3. The +3 in stead of +2 wouldn't be a huge difference in terms of DOF.

Anybody who's using the Nikon 12-24mm lens with a close up filter? I find it really hard to find the right filter.
Thanks!

If you are getting away from the 10-17, in my opinion the Nikon 12-24 would be the only choice for me. I absolutely love that lens, but with my switch to full frame I reluctantly sold mine.

Schneider Optics 77mm +2 diopter is what you want. Great quality, well worth the money. You can check it out here B+W 77mm +2 Close-up diopter - NL-2 These are in stock ready to go.

Hi Rob, Thanks very much for your reply! I'm happy to hear you like the lens so much!
I ended up testing a lot of filters and the Hoya HMC +2 and B&W +2 gave me the best results. At f8 the pictures get quite sharp in the corners. The other filters I tried gave poor results. In the end I picked the Hoya HMC +2 over the B&W, since by eye the antireflection coating was a bit better (I couldn't measure a reflection spectrum though) and the photos seemed a tiny bit sharper with the Hoya HMC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom