Nikon Announces New CoolPix Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackConnick

Jack Connick
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick. Nikon’s revved the CoolPix!

I think the P5100 and particularly the P50 look like very nice new cameras.

nikon_p50-001.jpg

In reading over the specs the P50 may well be a great UW camera. Finally have gotten back to a 28mm lens! A little less macro capability, but fast at f2.8. Manual control. AA batteries too, which I greatly prefer. If it had RAW, I’d say it was perfect.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07083006nikonp50.asp#press

P5100 is nice too. 35mm lens though. Some interesting features like the continuous flash mode, with a fast strobe like an Inon or S&S that could be killer for action shots. They specifically mention that focus time has been improved.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07083007nikonp5100.asp

The other cameras look like they are very similar to what is out now, imprived features, maybe even will fit existing cases with minor mods.

Jack

Of the two.. the 5100 is better for sure.. The hot shoe is a big plus. You can always use a Inon wide angle wet lense so the 35mm equiv lense isn't a big issue.

As stated, the only downside is the lack of raw. Although, I have yet to see a P&S that saves the raw image fast enough for my tastes so it is painful to use RAW usually anyhow unless you go DSLR.

Hi:

I would appreciate a response to my post
I want to put a CoolPix 5100 into one of Fantasea. I am excited that the Coolpix P5000 has shutter and external flash capability (hot shoe).

Will the Coolpix 5100 have a lag from the time I press the shutter till the time the picture is taken? I would use a shutter speed of 1/125.

Currently I am using a CoolpixL6 and there is significant lag which is very annoying. If there is going to be a lag, I see no reason to purchase the camera/housing...

I truly appreciate your time.

Thank you,

Compressor
P.S. IS the P5000 the same dimensions as the P5100?

Preliminarily it looks like the P5100 is the same form factor as the P5000, so housings are actually available now, _if_ that is true. The Fantasea FP5000 housing doesn't have a bulkhead sync port. There is talk, only rumors, that they are going to come out with a bit larger housing to allow this feature, but it may be a while. There are many great strobes that work with optical sync.

Shutter lag has more to do with focusing speed than anything else. It should be better than your older camera, but all digicams have a lag. Half-pressing the shutter to focus then compose the shot, then press it the rest of the way greatly speeds things up.

My understanding, based only on the Press release is that they have improved focusing speed on the P5100 vs the P5000. I shot a P5000 today and it wasn't bad at all. Using a focus light will also speed up the camera locking it's focus.

Jack

It's a low-end camera, not very much control. But it will take decent shots., just a little harder to use with a strobe, etc. If you're going to spend $170 on a housing, you'd be bette off spending more on a camera.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom