Nikon D5500?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMStelzel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife is getting back into dry land photography and has been looking at getting a Nikon D5500. I was thinking that it could pull double duty for her and I. This would be my first DSLR for U/W photography and I know I would need to get the associated housing, ports and lenses, I would just rather not buy another body if I can avoid it. I was just wondering if anyone had used this camera for photography and how it worked/ your opinion on it. Thanks for the input.

IMO a D7100 or D7200 would be a much better buy in a DX camera body since they have AF motors built in, allowing use of some amazing lenses that will not auto-focus on a D5500. Also, you'll find a lot more housing options. They can be found for not a lot more money. Better to do it right once than do it a few times and end up at the same place.

I agree with James. You want a camera body with an AF motor. Also, the difference in price between a D7100 and a D5500 is not that big. You will spend far more on the housing, the ports, the lenses, the strobes, and so on.

Thanks very much. I wasn't even thinking about the auto focus motors. Follow in question is it a good idea to have the camera pull double duty or would you reccomend having a designated body for diving and another for above water?

My main camera (D810) does double duty as I use it most on land and exclusively underwater. My other camera body (D700) does land only as it wont fit or work in the D810 housing. The advantage of two is pretty clear - you can have a camera and lens ready to use anytime without having to open your housing, take the camera out, change lenses, etc.

That is what I thought. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

I don't expect to carry my D700 on most trips anymore. I bought a Panasonic Lumix Fz1000 which is much lighter and easier for the better-half to use, and has a great Leica lens. I'm surprised how good it is actually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom