Nitrox and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Deepblu goes away, so does their cloud and you logs.
good observation, google Uemis SDA here - quite the darling in 2010 until the company went bankrupt in 2011. I guess their website/cloud storage still functions though as it may be the only way to download the computer. Everyone that owns one here seems to be diving it till it breaks then replacing it.

@tbone1004, you used to be a Shearwater fanboy, now you are also pushing COSMIQ. Is the Deep 6 computer next?

woah now, never said I left Shearwater.... Likely never will. This came up as an option for an inexpensive recreational computer that at least upon initial observations is a helluva lot better than the Zoop, actually has a working dive log unlike the Nitek Q, and is less than half the price of the Shearwaters. I have never been a Shearwater or nothing person because it is big, and expensive.

My old list was Hollis DG03 for cheap since it was $250, Shearwater for the best, or H3 if you needed a tech computer with a watch form factor.
New list has this on it upsetting the DG03, and yes the Deep6 will also get added on because it is less than $150 and offers more functions than any other computer in it's class for less than half the price.

should also be noted i don't sell any of these and have no mfg incentives, it is literally just making sure new divers don't spend stupid amounts of money on a stupid product...

woah now, never said I left Shearwater.... Likely never will.

I have never been a Shearwater or nothing person because it is big, and expensive.

You know I like you @tbone1004, but that is a glaring contradiction in the same post. You also had posted that you were in fact an ambassador for the DeepBlu.

Hell I am even looking at getting one, just cause it is a $300 watch that can also be a recreational dive computer.

no it's not a contradiction. I will never give up my Shearwater because I believe it stands alone as the best computer available in the US. In Europe they actually have competition from HW, but in the US there is no one that can touch them. They are the best in the US, end of story in my book, but they are big, and they are expensive. MOST divers don't need them, but if you want to spend for the best, get a Perdix and move on. That said, I am not an idiot and know that there are others with different requirements, myself included. If I am doing reef diving in the caribbean or quarry diving with new divers, I don't need to bring my Petrel with me because it is a tad excessive, and this new DeepBlu will hopefully fit the bill in the next revision of the firmware that I am working with them on.

Yes I am an ambassador, no I will not be selling them, I am working with them on the new firmware and some fixes to the manual and as such they made me an ambassador so figured I'd throw it out there, but I'm not getting any money for them, nor have any interest in selling any products for anyone. Simply taking advantage of keyman pricing, no different than many other people in the industry from various brands.

Here is one of those fixes in the manual you might show them:

Scuba Mode
- Air Mix: Choose your preferred oxygen level based on the type of gas being used. The mini-
mum is 21% and the maximum amount is 40%. This setting can also be adjusted manually
using COSMIQ. The default is 21%.
- Depth Alarm: Set an alarm to sound once you reach a certain depth. You can set the Depth
Alarm between 18 meters / 60 feet and 50 meters / 130 feet. The default Depth Alarm is 20
meters / 65 feet.
- Time Alarm: Set an alarm to sound once you reach a certain dive time. You can set the Time
Alarm between 10 minutes and 2 hours, at intervals of 10 minutes. The default Time Alarm is 1
hour.
Page 12

Suunto is a VERY well established company with a very solid product line that has been around for a very long time ( at least 20 years now). Suunto isn't perfect (the log software isn't great) but it is a far better bet than the no name brand computer... I'd pay the extra $50 or even $80 just for the name and the support and longevity that comes with it.

Suunto is a VERY well established company with a very solid product line that has been around for a very long time ( at least 20 years now). Suunto isn't perfect (the log software isn't great) but it is a far better bet than the no name brand computer... I'd pay the extra $50 or even $80 just for the name and the support and longevity that comes with it.

I agree with you Burhan on all points. What I would add is the log software just does not get it done. I use Subsurface it is free and can be run on Windoz, Macs and Linux. My experience is that it works well in Linux Mint and Windows 7 using the same database. I believe you can even import dives from the old suunto log files.

cosmiciq.jpg cosmiciq2.jpg cosmiciq3.jpg I will be able to access an Iphone this weekend and change the settings on my Cosmic from metric to imperial. As well as update the clock to reflect eastern std time.

I will be selling them IF they meet my standards. I have had 4 people in the last two days ask me about ordering one and I will not do it until I have had a chance to check it out.

That will be this weekend when I take an Underwater Photo class.

As for the NDL's going through the planning mode. You don't need the ap to do that. Or set the mix or PO2. This, from what I can see so far, is strictly a recreational computer with an LCD screen that blows away my Veo. The gauge mode allows me to use it as a bottom timer. Right now I use an OMS and a Uwatec. They have no lights so at depth that's an issue. A minor one but an issue.
Quick cycle through gave me this.
60 ft/18 meters
Deepblu NDL 48 minutes PO 2 set at 1.4
SEI table NDL 51 minutes
Predator with VPM-B and plus 3 conservatism 41 minutes PO2 set at 1.3 max (my choice on this due to the risk factors I consider)
following figures are deepblu only unless noted after.
21 meters/70 ft 33 minutes
24 meters/80 ft 24 minutes Predator is 22 minutes SEI tables 32 minutes
28 meters/90 ft 16 minutes
31 meters/100 ft 13 minutes Predator 14 minutes SEI tables 18 minutes
34 meters/110 ft 11 minutes

The Cosmiq is a nice looking computer that's for sure. Screen is great, though I've never had an issue reading what I needed at just a glance on my Oceanic VT 4.1, or my daughter on her Oceanic Veo 2.0. Mine is in a bit of a higher price bracket, but the Veo 2.0 is right there. I got hers on sale, so I think it was less than $250 total.

If I had to do it again, I'd stick with the Veo for a few reasons:
  • Tried and true. Oceanic's been around for a while.
  • Familiar interface. Her Veo UI is very similar to mine. One less button, but menus are similar.
  • Dive log. I can use lots of different software or online logs. Looks like with the Cosmiq, you are stuck to the app. Didn't see an option for using another software.
  • Algorithm. Veo has two options, with conservatism adjustments. Cosmiq has one with no adjustments for now.
  • Nitrox. Oceanic can handle 21-50% versus 21-40%, though not really a big issue.
  • Price. Veo was cheaper when I got it. Cable was not necessary as I already had one.
I don't see the app interface as a big benefit for me. I don't really like to mess with my phone on the boat. It's a nice looking computer for sure, and the algorithm is based on a proven one. I'd just like a bit more testing done.

Interesting concept, just seems a bit locked into proprietary apps and stuff for my liking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom