Nitrox and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and yes the Deep6 will also get added on because it is less than $150 and offers more functions than any other computer in it's class for less than half the price.
I thought it was already in your list because you were so keen about it last year. BTW, it should be available in Aug 2016 according to Deep 6.

Hello gfaith,

We have noticed that and fixed in our latest product manual.

Thanks a lot!

Here is one of those fixes in the manual you might show them:

Scuba Mode
- Air Mix: Choose your preferred oxygen level based on the type of gas being used. The mini-
mum is 21% and the maximum amount is 40%. This setting can also be adjusted manually
using COSMIQ. The default is 21%.
- Depth Alarm: Set an alarm to sound once you reach a certain depth. You can set the Depth
Alarm between 18 meters / 60 feet and 50 meters / 130 feet. The default Depth Alarm is 20
meters / 65 feet.
- Time Alarm: Set an alarm to sound once you reach a certain dive time. You can set the Time
Alarm between 10 minutes and 2 hours, at intervals of 10 minutes. The default Time Alarm is 1
hour.
Page 12

I was also intrigued by this new computer. My first area of interest was the performance of their proprietary version of Buhlmannn ZHL-16C. I contacted Deepblu but they were unwilling to share additional information and would not make a NDL table available. The information has been made available in the post by @Jim Lapenta The following is an air NDL table including COSMIQ, and Pelagic Pressure Systems PZ+ and DSAT:
upload_2016-7-20_8-38-34.png

So, COSMIQ is somewhat more conservative than PZ+, another proprietary version of Buhlmann ZHL-16C, and considerably more conservative than DSAT. Deepblu shared with me that they will have a conservative, normal, and aggressive setting in a future update. It remains to be seen what the performance of the aggressive setting will be. Currently, the decompression algorithm is too conservative for my diving

The computer has many alarms, I don't believe they can be turned off. There are alarms 3, 2, and 1 minute prior to reaching the NDL and again upon exceeding NDL. I would find these particularly annoying if they could not be turned off. The pO2 being fixed at 1.4 will apparently be corrected with an update giving a more usual range of options.

As per @tbone1004 maybe with some fixes, this computer can be a 1st line choice for new divers

I'm trying buddy! I've send them a considerable amount of information because a lot of what they have put in there means it 100% is not safe for me to use in a teaching environment as my primary computer and good lord would I love to have it as a computer for open water diving, but not until they open up some of the decompression and GF stuff. All I really want is something that mimics the Shearwater Recreational Nitrox mode and I think this can do it, just have to have the programmers let it go

I think what they did is they saw their "market share" for this computer to be the sunny, vacation, reef, 5-6 dives a year diver. With that being the case, I think they hit their market perfectly fine with a rather conservative and locked down computer. Bells and whistles are on their for people that do not normally dive and check things regularly, like NDL and such. Where I think they could grab a larger market share is if they do exactly what you guys are talking about and open the programming up so that divers with more experience do not feel like they are having their hand held while they cross the street. As I said before I personally would get one for nothing more than a travel computer that is more sleek than my Petrel and can be used as a backup to my Petrel when at home, if the conservatism was opened up.

The ability to adjust COSMIQ’s decompression algorithm was introduced through a wireless OTA firmware upgrade over a month ago. COSMIQ now has three different Safety Factor settings: Conservative, Normal, and Progressive. COSMIQ users can sync COSMIQ with the app and upgrade the firmware in less than 10 minutes.

Additionally, as part of the same firmware upgrade, we introduced the capability to adjust the PPO2 limit between 1.2 bar and 1.6 bar.

Both of theses feature updates allow divers to have more control over the level of conservativeness of the computer based on diving experience and the type of diving they are doing.

COSMIQ was designed to allow for constant improvements through firmware upgrades and we will continue to introduce new functions, features and improvements in the future.

I think what they did is they saw their "market share" for this computer to be the sunny, vacation, reef, 5-6 dives a year diver. With that being the case, I think they hit their market perfectly fine with a rather conservative and locked down computer. Bells and whistles are on their for people that do not normally dive and check things regularly, like NDL and such. Where I think they could grab a larger market share is if they do exactly what you guys are talking about and open the programming up so that divers with more experience do not feel like they are having their hand held while they cross the street. As I said before I personally would get one for nothing more than a travel computer that is more sleek than my Petrel and can be used as a backup to my Petrel when at home, if the conservatism was opened up.

Last edited:
The ability to adjust COSMIQ’s decompression algorithm was introduced through a wireless OTA firmware upgrade over a month ago. COSMIQ now has three different Safety Factor settings: Conservative, Normal, and Progressive. COSMIQ users can sync COSMIQ with the app and upgrade the firmware in less than 10 minutes.

Additionally, as part of the same firmware upgrade, we introduced the capability to adjust the PPO2 limit between 1.2 bar and 1.6 bar.

Both of theses feature updates allow divers to have more control over the level of conservativeness of the computer based on diving experience and the type of diving they are doing.

COSMIQ was designed to allow for constant improvements through firmware upgrades and we will continue to introduce new functions, features and improvements in the future.

Hi Deepblu,

Would you please let us know what the air NDLs are for the Progressive setting, perhaps between 60 and 110 feet, to be complimentary to the table I posted with values for the Normal setting?

How about a way to turn off the alarms?

Good diving, Craig

Addendum: Your product manual, available online, has not been updated yet to reflect the changes you mention. How would we know?

Last edited:
Deepblu, will you allow the Cosmiq's data to be imported into 3rd party dive log apps?

I have a Suunto and am very happy with it. You will be happy to know that there is a lot of opportunity to buy Suunto Zoops second hand at a great price, often very new or lightly used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom