Nitrox in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you think AI dive computers incorporate workload and use it in their decompression algorithm?
Marketing.
More specifically, to give the prospective buyer the impression that such a computer, which incorporates workload in the deco algorithm, is safer/better/more accurate.
None of that has any basis in scientific evidence published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Nice theory!
I'm preparing our divers for a very important dive.
Must be, as cold as I'm guessing it is in Colorado right now..
They will be using Galileo Sols that are Air-Integrared ( AI ) and that have a heart rate
monitor to take into account their workload.
Nice computer.. I used to own one.. I found it good for calculating SAC / RMV.. It also has a nice digital compass as well in case I forgot, or God forbid lost my Suunto SK7.
We go to great efforts to provide our students with the Best Scubapro gear. I will reply when I surface.
Does that mean you provide them Mk 25's and s700's, or that Scubapro (of which you only sell) is clearly the best? I bought my fiance' a Mk25/s600 and it's a great regulator.. I however prefer Poseidon Xstreams, and my friends that I dive with love their Apex, Aqualung, etc..
Why do you think AI dive computers incorporate workload and use it in their decompression algorithm?
Because it sounds SOOOO COOOOOOL...! (and looks funny as heck around a divers chest while suiting up!)
Prove to me it has saved one person from taking a DCS hit.. Just one.. I'd love to see your scientific data on this..
Everyone knows that the SOL and many other computers already run very conservative.. And I'll do you one better..
It sounds like you should have used a heart rate monitor on your last dive.
Have you ever used an AI computer? or Heart rate monitor?

Out of curiosity re: the heart rate monitor, I borrowed and dove with a friends SOL and my own.. Heart rate monitor on mine, none on the other..
Guess what.. NDL's were very close, and obligations once in deco were as well. Second dive, no heart rate monitor.. Same results..

It's my personal opinion that for the heart rate monitor to have much affect you are really going to have to be "working"..
Nice idea but I have questions about how affective they actually are, and I feel they don't matter with all the padding incorporated into the SOL algo..

The SOL is a great computer which I enjoyed for many 100's of dives... But today, I own a X1 and would definitely spend my money on either a Shearwater or Liquivsion if I knew what I know now back then, especially since they are pretty comparable in pricing, and far exceed the capabilities of the SOL in just about every way (except compass).. As for AI.. Again, it's good for getting good psi numbers for sac/rmv and logging purposes, and most newer divers love it.. Personally, I don't miss it at all and wouldn't dive today without a simple analog SPG.. Not to mention ALL of the manufacturers wireless AI senders are ridiculously overpriced..

Yes, It's Cold.

We use Mk25/S600.

Yes, the heart rate monitors are cool.

The No Stops' ( NDL ) that you experienced were the same because you did not a workload issue.

Did you download the computer?

Back to preparing for our important dive.

We will be using NITROX!

I'll get back to you'all after our dive.

Like Texas Torpedo, I think the heart rate monitor is a gimmick that has no proven relation to DCS theory. I would like to see the research that says there is such a relationship. As I indicated, the only reason I can see for it relates to perfusion, and I can't believe that the difference would be much.

I used a SOL on one dive trip a few years ago. I was talking cave instruction that would include decompression stops. The instructor wanted me to have a computer that could handle multiple gases, and I didn't have one. Our local SP dealer lent me one as a demo, asking for a review. I did not use either the transmitter or the heart monitor. (You really can't use the transmitter on a manifold without leaving it open to real abuse on a cave ceiling.) My review was not all that good. I noted that almost everyone who uses a computer with the ability to do multiple gases these days is also certified to use helium mixes, so the SOL's inability to measure helium was a problem. I understand they are struggling to fix that.

The computers that Texas Torpedo mentions can handle helium (and do more) at a lower price point than the SOL because it does not have unnecessary gimmicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom