Nitrox O2 analyzer - do I need one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem we had with the Fantasy Island analyzer last February was that it was slow. A full minute of escaping gas while waiting for a reading just seemed a bit much, more so when you were like #8 in line. I took mine but not a spare battery, and sure enough..!

The Inst who sponsored the trip was generous with his.

Just to get back to the OPs original question...do you NEED to have your own O2 analyzer the answer is no. However, if you plan to dive Nitrox regularly, it is definitely a good thing to have. I also have the Oxychek unit and it's been working great.

Do yourself a favor and get the following add-ons: sensor cap, low flow hookup, and a pelican case.

Just to get back to the OPs original question...do you NEED to have your own O2 analyzer the answer is no. However, if you plan to dive Nitrox regularly, it is definitely a good thing to have. I also have the Oxychek unit and it's been working great.

Do yourself a favor and get the following add-ons: sensor cap, low flow hookup, and a pelican case.
The Analox portable units are shipped with a Sensor Savor cap included now, but maybe not a case. Mine did come with the Pelican 1050 case, but those are easy to find for around $13+, or an waterproof Otter box would work. Bubble wrap would suffice but the custom foam rubber in mine is nice.

What low flow hookup do you use...?

It'd be nice if one buddy could supply the Nitrox checker and the other the CO tester, instead of me having both - but my bud is loaning me $1,000 of tools I don't want to own for a couple of weeks. I get back at him now and then.

Last edited:
I would add this caviot. You may decide to trust your lds anyliser. If you plan on being a traveling diver especially out of the country IMHO you need your own set up. The results of anylisers do vary and it comes down to "whose anyliser are you going to trust?" I prefer to trust my own. It protects me and protects the shop.
Eric

It's really nice to have your own unit, it gets old waiting around while 24 divers pass around the only boat supplied unit on a typical liveaboard, or hunting around on the boat finding out who has the unit now, or where the last person to use the unit happened to set it down when they were finished.

I used the shops then bought one. The very next fill he read 27% but how much he blended should have been 32%. Doublechecked with a fresh senser reading 32.9%. A month later the shop hasmt replaced. So it can come in handy when u need it. I analyze after fill immediately and again before use.

I used the shops then bought one. The very next fill he read 27% but how much he blended should have been 32%. Doublechecked with a fresh senser reading 32.9%. A month later the shop hasmt replaced. So it can come in handy when u need it. I analyze after fill immediately and again before use.
Now that's odd. I understood that O2 sensors fail totally when they fail, but then quality of sensor may be involved. You know the brands? I don't mind paying a little extra for Analox as the company seems top rate, top quality components, tops in customer service - that, or they got me fooled. :D

Now that's odd. I understood that O2 sensors fail totally when they fail, but then quality of sensor may be involved. You know the brands? I don't mind paying a little extra for Analox as the company seems top rate, top quality components, tops in customer service - that, or they got me fooled. :D

I bought an analox but the shop uses something else that i dont recognize.

Oh, it's VERY important to realize that O2 sensors don't just shut down when they fail. They will begin to voltage limit, and can give erroneous results at the high and low ends. That's one of the reasons it's important to calibrate cells at frequent intervals, and preferably with both air and O2 to be sure of both ends of the spectrum.

If your analyzer is giving you dubious results, check with another unit before you dive the gas, and consider replacing the cell, especially if it is more than six months old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom