NoCal Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm attempting to put together my Emergency Assistance Plan for my PADI Divemaster certification. Turns out this is more difficult than I would have expected! Can anyone out there help me with some details about shore diving locations in Northern California? I'm looking for 3 sites somewhere between SanFran and Eureka with some details about the sites, typical conditions and what there might be to see at each. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Do you want info on sites just for a report, or do you plan to dive these sites?

Eric,
For the time being, it'll only be for the class. I'd love to check out that area but most of my west coast travel either takes me to SoCal or Seattle.

In my opinion you need to dive the sites to make a good plan and if your instructor is not making you do that and is just letting you pick something? How does your instructor know it is a good plan if he/she does not know the dive site. I'm working with my son on his plan now his instructor picked the site "Gerstle Cove at Salt Point" this is a site that we have dove many times and his instructor knows well. I would pick a site you and your instructor know and have dove. You should be able to hand the plan to somebody that has never been to that site and they would now what to do if something happened the sites in that area are remote and help is not close by. Just my 2 cents.

Well I'll gladly tell you about sites if you're interested in actually diving them, but just for you to skim info for a report, then no. Sorry.
I'll give you enough info for you to know where to go, the rest is up to you. You have to see this stuff first hand otherwise you're cheating.

Gentlemen, I certainly understand your sentiments. Perhaps I was not clear in my description. The assignment is to research an area which I have never been (which was assigned by my instructor) and then develop a plan to lead a trip there. The idea being, to track down resources in a new area and be prepared for a trip with some basic knowledge ahead of that trip. Things like places to get air (or local dive shop to partner with), good dive sites with information about depths and vis (to ensure that everyone on this "trip" would be prepared for a safe and enjoyable dive) as well as emergency planning in case of an accident.
@NorCalDM This assignment is in addition to another assignment in which we do very specific planning on a local site that we all know well that is a prelude to actually leading a dive at that site.
Any information that you could share would be appreciated. However, I certainly understand your apprehension.

Caspar cove, van damme if you want a kiddy pool, glass beach... A lot of entry points. What are you looking for exactly

Caspar cove, van damme if you want a kiddy pool, glass beach... A lot of entry points. What are you looking for exactly
Mostly looking for fairly accessible sites that would be a good example of what Northern California shore diving is like. As if you had a scuba buddy in from out of town... Where would you really want to take him?

Mostly looking for fairly accessible sites that would be a good example of what Northern California shore diving is like. As if you had a scuba buddy in from out of town... Where would you really want to take him?

I would want to take him to the Monterey area, rather than the North Coast. :wink:

Well he said he was looking to show a buddy what norcal diving was like....

Gear him up, set him in a tank of ice water, and blindfold him. Haha

All of them have a decent kick out for anything good. If I had someone coming in to shore dive I'd probably take them to Caspar and kick out foowing the north wall as far as they were comfortable before dropping. The closer they can get to the point(really far) the better.

Back
Top Bottom