non-dive op shore sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We have already dove cementary beach, smith cove and west bay dock.
What other sites are there where we can bring our tank rentals to for some shore diving that don't already have a dive op on premises? (No, we aren't angling to do the kittiwake from shore lol)

Typically do a lot of shore diving at sunset, cobalt, light house, eden, cracked conch on prior trips.
We arrive next week and after 5 trips, this is our first one doing boat diving (west side). So thought I would find out what options we have for other shore diving sites that don't have a dive op.

I remember diving in the 90s on a rebreather at a tarpon feeding time outside a restaurant at night. Can't remember which one. Is that a shore dive and where do we enter these days? Lol

Thank you in advance.
Shell

Babylon. I only have done it by boat but there are discussions on SB by those doing it from shore.

Wonder if the surface swim is worse than cemetery beach? That one was a pain, but only because I get bored kicking and drop early. Haha

GPS coordinates for Babylon: 19' 21.145 N, 81' 09.886 W.

You probably did the tarpon dive at Turtle Reef / Macabuca?

Also try Spanish Bay Reef in West Bay; the resort is closed but you can dive from shore.

For our trip a few weeks ago we stayed at Coconut Bay (residential property next door to Macabuca/Cracked Conch in the West Bay) and were fortunate that the weather was incredible, so we were able to dive the shore dive off the property three times. There is a shower, dunk tank, and a ladder into the water. There is a mini wall, Hepp's Pipeline, (max depth of 65) and the main wall, Hepp's Wall (farther swim, top of the wall starts at 60 feet). We didn't want to spend the time surfacing swimming out to the main wall and did all three dives on the mini wall. All three were fantastic. We saw turtles, eels, rays, lobsters, and loads of fish all over the wall. I also saw my first sea cucumber! The reef is very healthy and the topography is varied and curvey. We went both ways but I liked the route swimming to the right (northeast) more than to the left (southwest toward Macabuca). The swim out to the mini wall is very short, maybe 4-5 minutes, and there is a lot of neat stuff to see in the hard pan so we went down right away on all three dives. We still got in 55-60 minutes of bottom time total. There is a dive op on site (sort of) but they don't require you use their tanks. I don't believe you need to use the on-site tanks and Macabuca, either. Macabuca is also a really great shore dive, which we did twice, and a lot of people like to do as a night dive.

One more after I saw the recommendation for Spanish Bay: I agree it would be a good shore dive. I'm not sure what the rules are for accessing the water from the abandoned property, but we dove it by boat and it was beautiful. Also very close to shore, so not much of a swim.

<< I don't believe you need to use the on-site tanks and Macabuca, either. >>

Macabuca insists that you use their tanks.

Good to know. We have always used their tanks but because we have been there more often for night dives after the dive shop was closed and it didn't seem like anyone was monitoring what tanks people were using, I didn't think they cared.

If you register at their dive shop, the are happy to leave tanks out for you for night diving at Turtle Reef/Sundivers. You can just leave them out by the rinse tank at end of dive. They run guided night dives several times per week as well if you are interested.
Given how hard Ollen works to maintain the site and facilities, why not give him a little business.

Turtle Reef, IMO is one of the best dives on GC, day or night.

In the day time, you absolutely cannot bring in outside tanks.

Babylon is a long swim from shore and you are on your own. Have done it a few times but much prefer to do now as a boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom