Normal Fins vs Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both types of fins. I was not real crazy about the splits when I got them but I am getting more used to them. I still prefer my big paddle fins but dive with the splits from time to time. I think it all comes down to what you like or are more comfortable with, try them both and decide for yourself.

Searching on the keyword "split" will get you days, if not weeks, of reading material. The suggestion of looking at "Similar Threads" is a good one as well. This feature is very nice, and often overlooked.

Here's my take away and generalizations:
1. Split fins are great for top line speed using a tight flutter kick.
2. Paddle fins are great for precision kicks, thrust, and variety of kicks.

We have a set of Twin Speeds to catch people, but for everyday diving we dive Jet Fins.

Seconding everyone's motion of doing a search......trust me, you'll freak out once you see how many threads there are on this topic. :D

To simplify the topic in another perspective, splits are preferred by people who get tuckered out with paddles. They're way easier and less prone to making you cramp up in your legs. That's the biggest reason why people tend to like the splits. Besides all the other reasons, yada yada yada.......yawn. Least that's my point of view. YMMV.

HTH.

Is it that big of deal that someone does not search? It takes the same amount of effort to just answer the question. OR how about you just not reply to the message at all? I know I am new here but it gets old seeing people bash on someone for not searching. Maybe they do not know about search? Maybe they couldn't find the exact info they were seeking? All you did was 1. Make yourself seem like a jerk 2. make someone feel uncomfortable about asking questions and 3. Possiably loose a new member of the community....:no

movieflick:
Is it that big of deal that someone does not search?

Generally, no. It's just that this subject - in particular - has a way of turning normal, ordinary, sane people into raving maniacs. You've hit on THE hot button topic.

If you do a search for splits and examine the previous threads, you'll see why you got this reponse. I'm surprised that this one has remained so civil.

Frankly, seeing splits in a topic makes my brain explode, and I wear splits (in fact, in my avatar, you'll see my Tusa xpert zooms).

No need to search... splits are better... :eyebrow:

:popcorn:

I wear one split fin on my right foot and a Suba Pro jet on my left, that way I get the best of both worlds.:D

Seriously, each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, the bottom line is which fin works best for you. How will you know this until you try them both?

You've hit on THE hot button topic.

You've been on the board since 2003, and you think THIS is the hot button topic? Try posting a thread about DIR outside of the DIR forum . . . I can guarantee you 28 pages!

TSandM:
You've been on the board since 2003, and you think THIS is the hot button topic? Try posting a thread about DIR outside of the DIR forum . . . I can guarantee you 28 pages!

HMMM, my threads just don't seem to bet getting the traffic I need lately, maybe I'll start a DIR divers are better than everyone else thread! :D

Seems to me that passion over rides logic, frequently. I'm trying to find what works best for me because I dive splits and now I'm diving with DIR divers who think splits are for 'strokes' and I look like a dork. So to some extent it's who you dive with. Anyway if you buy splits and decide later you can always duck tape the splits into blades. No worries!

Back
Top Bottom