Norwegian Getaway - Sept. 8 - 25 - Ship time in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm headed to Coz and other ports on Norwegian Getaway Sept. 8 - 25. The ship's schedule says I'll be in Coz 8am - 5pm. I'm trying to make a morning dive that departs at 8am. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether NCL stays on EDT (Miami time) or does it switch to EST/CST (Coz time)? If they stay on EDT, I'll effectively arrive at 7am Coz time and will make it for the morning dive. If they switch to EST/CST, then I won't make it. Thanks!

Did you try to reach out to Norwegian CL customer service? I would think that would be the most reliable answer for the question.

If the disembarking time is 8:00 getting off the ship and making a connection with a dive op for the 8:00 boats is almost impossible. Most of the boats go out at 8:00 so you do not have time to get off the ship and get to where you will be picked up. Blue Angel does or used to run a boat at 10:00 10:30.
If you have 4 or more divers many of the ops will run a boat just for your group on your schedule if a boat is available.

Thanks everyone!

I called NCL and one representative said the ships change their time to local time. Another rep said the same thing, but with much less conviction.

I spoke with a dive op and from their experience, the ship says one thing and the info they get from the port authority says another.

So, for this trip into Coz, we'll probably just find a dive op that leaves at 9am or after, just to be safe. This means that we won't be diving with our favourite shop, but that's ok, Coz has many great dive shops.

My wife and I will be in COZ next February, for a day (cruise port). Please post a quick report of who you dive with and how you like it!

My wife and I will be in COZ next February, for a day (cruise port). Please post a quick report of who you dive with and how you like it!

Sure, no problem! :wink:

Dogbowl mentioned being on NCL Getaway Sep 8 -25. This doesn't look like time period for one of their cruises. Plus Dogbowl posted on Sat (Sep 10). So did you mean 18-25?
Well anyway, I have been to Cozumel many times on Carnival and NCL.
For past few years been booking with Aldora. (Aldora.com). They are right down in middle of town. They have several boats, so they can usually accommodate you.
NCL usually docks right downtown, so its only a short walk.
Carnival docks way out, so it's an $8 cab ride.
As to change of time. I have found that when embarking and debarking from same port, ie. Miami, they keep Miami time. If they are ending in different time zone then they change with local time.
Good luck. I won't be cruising until Nov 13 on the Getaway

Dogbowl mentioned being on NCL Getaway Sep 8 -25. This doesn't look like time period for one of their cruises. Plus Dogbowl posted on Sat (Sep 10). So did you mean 18-25?
Well anyway, I have been to Cozumel many times on Carnival and NCL.
For past few years been booking with Aldora. (Aldora.com). They are right down in middle of town. They have several boats, so they can usually accommodate you.
NCL usually docks right downtown, so its only a short walk.
Carnival docks way out, so it's an $8 cab ride.
As to change of time. I have found that when embarking and debarking from same port, ie. Miami, they keep Miami time. If they are ending in different time zone then they change with local time.
Good luck. I won't be cruising until Nov 13 on the Getaway

DEEPLOU, yes, you are right! The dates are Sept 18 - 25. Oops!

I was able to book with Aldora. They were able to accommodate us but it did take some time to confirm that they had enough boats that day.

This is actually our 2nd time on Getaway. Last time (early March, 2016), our ship docked in Coz from 11am - 7pm. We knew we were definitely going to miss everyone's morning dive trip, but we were able to book an afternoon trip with no timing issues. Since our ship will be docking from 8am - 5pm this time, and most dive ops' morning trips leave by 8am, ship time vs. local time became an issue.

NCL doesn't post their policy anywhere. NCL reps (I spoke with 3) were of the view that the ships changed to local time. So did this website: Cruise Ship Time The dive ops I spoke with thought the ships usually docked earlier than their posted time.

Also, according to that website, Coz and Miami were on the same time zone from November 1, 2015 to March 12, 2016 (the last time I was there). Therefore, there were no timing issues. This time, however, Coz will be on Central Time and Miami will be on U.S. Daylight Savings Time (EDT), which makes the 2 locations different by an hour, I think. It is at about here that I gave up trying to figure it out.:surrender:

I also booked with West End Divers in Roatan. We did our OW checkout dives #3 & 4 with them from a cruise ship several years ago - crazy, I know. They were able to accommodate our ship time, and they are able to arrange for a "trusted" taxi driver to pick us up and drop us off.

In Costa Maya, we've booked with Doctor Dive. We'll need to make our way there ourselves by taxi from the port.

In Belize City, we were going to book with SeaSports Belize, but changed our mind and we will not be diving in that port. We will instead do the Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley Snorkel by Air. They also have a Hol Chan Dive by Air but I'm not willing to take the chance with that.

Some may wonder why we bother going on a cruise if we want to fit in so many dives...the answer is that non-diving family members are coming along. Plus, we've always been cruisers and we like it, although I must admit, trying to arrange diving off a cruise ship is very time-consuming and often difficult.

For those of you going on Getaway in the future, I highly suggest buying the Dining Packages. Some of those restaurants are to die for! Le Bistro's lobster tail is HIGHLY recommended!

Last edited:
November will only be my second on the Getaway. And the first went to Ocho Rios, Jamaica instead of Costa Maya. Unfortunately, I had a medical problem and had to leave from Jamaica. PS. NEVER go near a hospital in Jamaica.
After prior post, went and scheduled my stuff for November. for this next trip, we get into Roatan at 10 am, so I just went with the cruise excursion.
Belize, no dive excursion is listed, so may just sit it out there.
Costa Maya, just put in request with Doctor Dive.
and Coz, of course Aldora.

Be sure to post how it went with Doctor Dive.

We have I believe 3 night restaurant package, plus wife and I each get dinner for 2 in all but steak house as Platinum Level. LeBistro I usually get the filet of beef. As my local diving (Long Island , NY and Boynton Bch, FL) involves lobster hunting, I don't eat lobster that I didn't catch.

November will only be my second on the Getaway. And the first went to Ocho Rios, Jamaica instead of Costa Maya. Unfortunately, I had a medical problem and had to leave from Jamaica. PS. NEVER go near a hospital in Jamaica.
After prior post, went and scheduled my stuff for November. for this next trip, we get into Roatan at 10 am, so I just went with the cruise excursion.
Belize, no dive excursion is listed, so may just sit it out there.
Costa Maya, just put in request with Doctor Dive.
and Coz, of course Aldora.

Be sure to post how it went with Doctor Dive.

We have I believe 3 night restaurant package, plus wife and I each get dinner for 2 in all but steak house as Platinum Level. LeBistro I usually get the filet of beef. As my local diving (Long Island , NY and Boynton Bch, FL) involves lobster hunting, I don't eat lobster that I didn't catch.

I'll post how the dives went after we come back. Platinum Level gets you free dinner??? I'm only Silver...gotta work harder! After we got a free dining package the last time, we simply cannot go back to the complimentary restaurants. Filet of beef would be my #2 choice!

From what I gather, Hugh Parkey used to be the dive excursion provider for Belize City but they've since closed down. I might be wrong, but I think Sea Sports Belize is the only option currently.

Back
Top Bottom