Not allowed on a boat because of your dive agency card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I was expecting Visa, MC or American Express

I've got all of those. I really should take a new picture ... I've had a few more classes since I took that one ... I'm such a card collector ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: D_B
You know, around here is you wave an AmEx around, you're likely to be asked to produce a REAL card...

I don't have a REAL card. I guess that must be one from New Zealand?:rofl3::rofl3:

Hey guys, if you don't mind a slight diversion, I have a question. Is there any advantage to getting cards from multiple agencies, especially since it seems it is not a problem? At the recreational level, do other agencies offer something that PADI (my cert) doesn't teach?

In my area it is PADI or SSI, and the SSI shop did not give me good feelings. Of course I love my instructor who trained me for OW and want to take my other courses through her. However, I'm sure almost everyone else probably loves their initial instructors also.

Do you think I would have any problems with this?

FirstCertCard.jpg

"I'm sorry Mr. Johnson. This certification doesn't qualify you for general open water dives. As I'm sure you're already aware, with a "Scuba Diver" certification, you may only dive under the direct supervision of a Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor to a maximum depth of 12 metres / 40 feet. Of course, you can always upgrade to an Open Water certification, just sign up for one of our classes here!"

Scuba Diver Open Water Diving Adventure Courses - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

"I'm sorry Mr. Johnson. This certification doesn't qualify you for general open water dives. As I'm sure you're already aware, with a "Scuba Diver" certification, you may only dive under the direct supervision of a Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor to a maximum depth of 12 metres / 40 feet. Of course, you can always upgrade to an Open Water certification, just sign up for one of our classes here!"

Scuba Diver Open Water Diving Adventure Courses - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

Well I could show my Nitrox from 93, or my AOW, from 95, or my Trimix, but my cert card from Andew Jackson most likely will do it.

Back in 95 I was in the Bahamas and left my cert cards in the hotel and was getting the line about needing a log and my cert to do a 2 tank run. The owner came over and told the guy giving me the line that I has a $500 reg around my neck and had about $3000 worth of camera in my hands (Nikonos V, 15mm lens and view finder and strobe) and that anyone who walked into his shop with that amount of gear that had a used look to it could go and dive.

On the boat I was in only shorts and a T-shirt, the same Line guy handed me a weight belt with 14#’s of lead and I asked him what I was to do with that much, anchor the boat? I then asked him for 6#’s (4 for the tank and 2 for me) and he muttered “Oh, you do know how to dive …..”

Hey guys, if you don't mind a slight diversion, I have a question. Is there any advantage to getting cards from multiple agencies, especially since it seems it is not a problem? At the recreational level, do other agencies offer something that PADI (my cert) doesn't teach?

In my area it is PADI or SSI, and the SSI shop did not give me good feelings. Of course I love my instructor who trained me for OW and want to take my other courses through her. However, I'm sure almost everyone else probably loves their initial instructors also.

To address your question ... I would say if you're happy with your instructor, stick with her. At the recreational level, a good PADI instructor can teach you what you need to know.

At the recreational level, all the agencies teach basically the same thing. There are some slight variations in what skills are required, and some differences in what they emphasize, and how they present the material ... but a good instructor will more than make up for those differences.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To address your question ... I would say if you're happy with your instructor, stick with her. At the recreational level, a good PADI instructor can teach you what you need to know.

At the recreational level, all the agencies teach basically the same thing. There are some slight variations in what skills are required, and some differences in what they emphasize, and how they present the material ... but a good instructor will more than make up for those differences.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob!

Do you think I would have any problems with this?

FirstCertCard.jpg

Yup, looks exactly like my first card and is in the same shape. Mine's 1978 the instructor number was 110... loooong time ago...

Now I feel old... :shakehead:

Cheers

Yup, looks exactly like my first card and is in the same shape. Mine's 1978 the instructor number was 110... loooong time ago...

Now I feel old... :shakehead:

Cheers

Here, this should make you feel younger:

card.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Sadly, I lost my first card from an agency that no longer exists... darn.

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom