Nudi pics and ID Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Billy! I got to hand out huge props to guys like Ken and Scott, handling those big SLR rigs in dry suits and in surge and at night!!

And a scooter. Can't forget the scooter. And the Cam, and the DS and the Can light and the, and the, and the....

Having a great buddy (ken sneezes and says, "Claudette") helps a lot too.

Glad you're OK, bud.

---
Ken

So no one can identify the mystery nudi in photo #1 above, being eaten by the anenome? Once I have enough free time to breath, I'll see if I can clean up some of my shots and get them posted. I have a couple more of that one, although the resident nudi experts on the Peace with us were not able to ID it, either. It appeared to be dead, and thus the body may have changed enough to be unrecognizable.

Hey! I can't claim to be 100% correct in this, but I found a couple of photos of Aeolidia papillosa that look an awful lot like that mystery nudi. Could that be what it is? And interestingly, apparently they feed on anenomes. So perhaps it's not as dead as we first thought?

Some downsized crops of my photos of the same thing Robert posted:

IMG_5834-crop-sm.jpg

IMG_5835-crop-sm.jpg

Great shots Kalani!! Now when do I get the ones of MEEE?!?! :D

Kim posted just after my original and had ID it as papillosa. Also known as shag rug nudi! I wish I'd have noticed it when I took the photo, not AFTER.

Damn my eyes! Too late...

Ken...

Regards ID of yellow nudi...if I compare that critter in my pic to the one in Gotshall's guide, I have to say it's a Lemon and not a Montery. The Sea Lemon in his book looks very "dirty" compared to the Montery. Is there another ID item I'm not catching??

Ken...

Regards ID of yellow nudi...if I compare that critter in my pic to the one in Gotshall's guide, I have to say it's a Lemon and not a Montery. The Sea Lemon in his book looks very "dirty" compared to the Montery. Is there another ID item I'm not catching??

Comparison of Monterey and Noble Dorid.. Although the gills aren't clearly visible, from the spots in your pic (dark on the bumps versus between), it looks like a Monterey.

Then again, next time you might try the scratch and sniff test :wink:

"By the way, Anisodoris nobilis is the only one of these [sea-lemon] dorids with a distinct lemon scent. Its citrus fruit aroma is quite pleasant and usually only given off when the animal is handled."

Ken...

Lemons have skin like a Pips Up Ping Pong Paddle (huge original image here)
69377482.loj50EPz.jpg

Monty's are all sticky, like Rick said (Huge original image here)
63935948.4W3zxR5P.jpg

---
Ken

And blinded! Dayum Ken, those are CLOSE!!! I may have nightmares.

Thanks Rick and Ken for the clarification.

Ordered a pair of calendars too =)

So no one can identify the mystery nudi in photo #1 above, being eaten by the anenome? Once I have enough free time to breath, I'll see if I can clean up some of my shots and get them posted. I have a couple more of that one, although the resident nudi experts on the Peace with us were not able to ID it, either. It appeared to be dead, and thus the body may have changed enough to be unrecognizable.

Unfortunately, no one paid attention to my post except that I didn't bother to notice that the lemon wasn't a lemon, of course I was paying more attention to the little nudi that Robert asked to be id'd which as I stated before is Aeolidia Papillosa.

Sorry you've been sitting here still thinking you're question hadn't been answered.

Kim

Unfortunately, no one paid attention to my post except that I didn't bother to notice that the lemon wasn't a lemon, of course I was paying more attention to the little nudi that Robert asked to be id'd which as I stated before is Aeolidia Papillosa.

Sorry you've been sitting here still thinking you're question hadn't been answered.

Kim
Doh! You're so right! :dork2: Dunno how I missed that... although in all fairness, you wanted to look at the original to be sure and I never heard confirmation.

No worries, though, and good call. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom