Nusa Lembongan Or Padang Bai Or Menjanhan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choiahoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Scubaboard,

I'm planning a three week trip to Bali and Komodo for the fall. We're definitely starting the trip in Tulamben for about a week and ending with Komodo (then Ubud). But we could use some help planning the middle of the trip--it looks like four days.

Four days in Nusa Lembongan or Padang Bai or Menjanhan? I'm leaning towards towards Lembongan, but would be curious to hear more Bali-experienced divers' thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Mike

There is a direct ferry from Padang Bai to Lembongan . The diving there is fantastic , it's a bit of a trek but worth it.

Depends on what you'd like to see, NUsa Penida (next to Lembongan) provides blue water dives, excellent coral reef and big fish (Mantas, sometimes Mola² or threshers if you're lucky) but no macro. Also there will hardly be any interesting afternoon dives, it's usually 2 morning dives. and everybody goes riding a scooter around the island or surfing in the afternoon.
Lembongan is easy to reach, a matter of 30 minutes speedboat ride, then a truck will take you to your hotel. Lembongan has lots of budget to luxury hotels, probably cheaper than mainland.

Padang Bai gives you access to Nusa Penida dive sites as well, and on top of that to the excellent macro sites in the afternnon, or in the morning to Tepekong/Mimpang great dives. Moreover you can use your afternoon to visit Bali mainland.

Your choice.

A stay in Nusa Lembongan will almost definitely offer Mantas and possibly Mola molas. They are seasonal though, most often seen between July through mid November (peak season being August - mid October).

North Bali gives you access to famous dive sites in Menjangan - known for wall dives and corals, Secret bay - known for it's muck diving and Puri Jati - also known for it's amazing muck diving.

If you are already starting in Tulamben do you want more muck diving or do you want to try and see some Mola molas? They are pretty rare in Komodo, so Nusa Lembongan may be your best chance to see these adorably strange looking fish. Komodo is also famous for it's reefs.

From Tulamben you may also be able to take a day trip down to Pandang Bai or Candidasa where Molas are spotted in season.

Food for thought.

I stayed on Nusa Lembongan for a week, which was a bit long I got to dive all around the island, the currents on the back side can be a rollercoaster ride (no time for pictures), just hang on and control your buoyancy and surf the reef underwater. I had a dive op take us out at the crack of dawn and we got to Crystal Bay before anybody else was on site and got some alone time with a few mola mola's. Also experienced the most scary onset of current in my diving history, we had to grab onto the reef and crawl out of the current with our hands, cause the current was going to take us out and down. Current was so strong the buddy that my buddies reg started to free flow from the pressure on his 2ndary. (don't know how, it just did)

Thank you everyone for all the great advice! Our trip is now booked.

7 nights in Tulamben
3 nights in Nusa Lembongan
5 nights in Komodo
5 nights at a retreat north of Ubud
(and 2 travel days)

A nice way to turn 40, I think.

Sounds like a great great holiday!!
A brilliant way to bring the BIG 4-zero up!

My only tiny suggestion would be stay 5 days in Tulamben and 7 in Komodo. Komodo diving is much better!
Other than that HAVE A BLAST and remember to throw up a trip report on your return.

My only tiny suggestion would be stay 5 days in Tulamben and 7 in Komodo. Komodo diving is much better!
Other than that HAVE A BLAST and remember to throw up a trip report on your return.

That was our first instinct, but we changed our plans because of two factors. 1) we've never done a liveaboard before and my wife has had sea sickness issues in the past 2) we LOVE the freedom of shore diving (we're Bonaire-heads) and though we have never gone muck diving, it seems to be right up our alley.

That said, we're super excited for our first liveaboard and hope Komodo is as wonderful as we hear!

Again, thanks all for the advice. We'll post a report in the fall!

I'd say LOB diving has significantly more "freedom" than shore diving. In that you can cruise to the best possible place and just jump right in. Then when you are done with your dive the fantastic crew takes care of all your gear for you. No lugging your gear over rocks and getting it full of sand/ dirt or being battered by waves on a shore entry/exit etc etc

As for sea sickness....just pop the sea sickness pill as soon as you get going, that way your body can get used to the motion. Also as soon as the going gets a bit rough POP A PILL! Don't try and hang tough. The LOB had a stack of the pills and you could just help yourself. And they worked!!

After this trip I'm 99.9% sure you will be booking a return trip to Indo before you even leave! Enjoy!

Hi Scubaboard,

I'm planning a three week trip to Bali and Komodo for the fall. We're definitely starting the trip in Tulamben for about a week and ending with Komodo (then Ubud). But we could use some help planning the middle of the trip--it looks like four days.

Four days in Nusa Lembongan or Padang Bai or Menjanhan? I'm leaning towards towards Lembongan, but would be curious to hear more Bali-experienced divers' thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Mike

last time we were in bali, we dove menjangan (nw corner of bali) for a few days. diving was decent.

P7243559-adj-trim-small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom