Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I like my ACR 2881, but I have also been interested in the Rescueme, as it is even smaller and last 7 years. This is the first time I have seen it this cheap. No free replacement program, but only $169 after rebate - wow! Ocean Signal Rescueme 406 Mhz Gps Plb

t0214.gif

For a dive canister, I like this lightweight, lower cost nylon model - $100 including shipping. Order the small, very lightly apply silicone grease to the o-ring, and add a mylar blanket to take up space which might come in handy drifting in a hot sun. CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio.

Don, being a new diver I am very interested in this. If you were going to get one, and only one, would it be the 2881 (also has a $50 rebate) or the Rescueme?

IMG_4387.JPG

I'm testing this $12.97 case that is waterproof rated for 100' depth next month when I dive in GBR. I'll post the result here afterwards.

Don, being a new diver I am very interested in this. If you were going to get one, and only one, would it be the 2881 (also has a $50 rebate) or the Rescueme?
Really, they are both good choices, but the Rescueme is certainly a better deal there - lower price and longer standby battery, altho I really like that the ACR 2881 floats without a pouch - but just make sure the Rescue me is attached to the float pouch well. So whichever one you will be sure and take with you anywhere you go. I don't guess you have as many dead spots for cell service back east as we do in the wild west, but still - carry it on any dive, hike, drive, whatever.

I'm testing this $12.97 case that is waterproof rated for 100' depth next month when I dive in GBR. I'll post the result here afterwards.
Yeah, you'd need to take it to 500 feet repeatedly for a real test, but ok - do let us know. Those are cute, but I am not expecting much.

Been looking at options but my head starts to spin after just a few minutes trying to decide the best for my situation. I like the idea of the marine radio Nautilus Lifeline and speaking to the dive boat but not the registration that is required for the panic button to function in each country. Is registration required for the GPS units?

Don. Any comments on the new Nautilus GPS unit? I like the fact that it doesn't require an additional waterproof case.

Nautilus LifeLine Official Website: Marine Rescue GPS

Uncfnp, from reading the site I don't think you have to register it in more than one country. You would get your MMSI number from the USA, and then that would be it, it would become a universal identifying number that stays with you and that unit. Don, have I read this wrong?

Don. Any comments on the new Nautilus GPS unit? I like the fact that it doesn't require an additional waterproof case.
Better than nothing, but I am not impressed. No, they claim they don't need a canister, but they have had a lot of failures with water leaks. And the new one watt unit has a very limited range. If I ever have an emergency, I want to reach out better than that.

Uncfnp, from reading the site I don't think you have to register it in more than one country. You would get your MMSI number from the USA, and then that would be it, it would become a universal identifying number that stays with you and that unit. Don, have I read this wrong?
I think you are right and I will take another look. We travel out of the country but also do a lot of drift diving in Florida. Having the ability to talk to the boat would be ideal. Don't want to hijack Don's thread any further so will go back and do a little more research.

Better than nothing, but I am not impressed. No, they claim they don't need a canister, but they have had a lot of failures with water leaks. And the new one watt unit has a very limited range. If I ever have an emergency, I want to reach out better than that.
Good to know. Thanks.

There are two ways of getting an MMSI in the US. One is easy, the FCC is not so easy. To use it outside the US you need to get one from the FCC, not the various other sources. FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

There are two ways of getting an MMSI in the US. One is easy, the FCC is not so easy. To use it outside the US you need to get one from the FCC, not the various other sources. FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing
Mine is registered in the US, and I do not think I have to do anything else to use it outside of the US. Maybe you meant register it outside of the US? Totally different.

Back
Top Bottom